Hitachi?

Pengu

Digital Music Pimp
Hiyas,

I'm compiling a list of quotes for a few things i want for my G5.. When i asked about prices for Hitachi HDDs (along with Seagate and WDD) the response implies that hitachi HDDs have a bad rep..

Is this the case?

for interest's sake, im looking at putting a 74GB 10000RPM Raptor into the g5, and then either a 400 or 500Gb drive for data (will replace the 250)

AFAIK Hitachi are now effectively IBM`s , I hav three of them and I haven`t had any trouble. In fact, my two biggest headaches at the moment are Maxtor, and Seagate (not the SCSI ones).

So to some it up, I think that he is toalking rubbish, and rather ask a technician, not a salesman.

I've got a Hitachi running in my Powerbook and iBook at the moment. The Powerbook has been running pretty much 24/7 for the last 6 months. Prior to that, on my x86 laptops I've had IBM drives and they've lasted for years. Take my Dell Inspiron 3700 (I'm sorry, I have since repented :)) which is over 6 years old. The hard drive was upgraded in 2002 and after 3 years, it's still working fine.

Your mileage might vary, of course but these are my experiences.

I installed 7200rpm Hitachi two and a half years ago and it has been running like a dream-- fast, stable, silent and cool.

That's what i thought. i actually know the guy (before he worked at the store) and he is by no means a tech. he dabbles a bit.. maybe just been given bad info from the sales managers or somethin.. it just seems the Hitachi 400Gb SATA is a LOT cheaper (hundreds of AUDollars) than the Seagate 400Gb SATA.. (unfortunately the 500gb isn't here for a few more months)

Only HD manufacturer I've had 'big troubles' (lots-o-trouble might be a better wat to put it) with has been Maxtor, and that was a few years ago. Had 1 Western Digital drive with a problem, but it was fixed quick. I do know a bunch of people who dislike Western Digital drives.

Never had an issue with a drive from Seagate, IBM, or Hitachi. Never heard a bad thing about them either. If I buy a HD or recommend one to someone, it's Seagate if possible...if not, then Hitachi/IBM are next to be recommended.

Tiger Direct has the Hitachi for $420 ($534 AUD), the Seagate for $440 ($559 AUD). NewEgg has the Hitachi for $325 ($413 AUD), the Seagate for $355 ($451 AUD). MacSales/OWC has the Hitachi for $346 ($440 AUD).

I'm a Mac tech and I've found the IBM/Hitachi Deskstar drives to be the most unreliable drive i've worked with. They seem to destroy files by damaging their resource forks - on a huge scale sometimes, I've had Techtool Pro reporting pages and pages of damaged resource forks. I've also heard that there is a class action happening in America against IBM because of the Deskstar. My advice is don't have anything too do with them.

What about their travelstar line of hard drives? I've never had a problem with IBM's travelstar hard drives. On the desktop I tend to use Seagate as I've had problems with Maxtor in the past.

Back