Home and End key in OSx?

hoarp001

Registered
Hi I was a windows xp user for a while but recently saw the light and bought a Powermac G5 dual 2.7ghz (very pleased with it :)

Only thing is I have grown dependant on the home and end keys in windows and the apple keyboard does not seem to offer this... There is a north west and south east button but they dont seem to do what i want.

Are there any short cuts you know of that could help me?

Thanks.

The NW and SE buttons _are_ the home and end buttons, they just behave differently from what you're expecting. Testing it in a web-browser will at least show you that they're _intended_ to be home and end keys. There's not much you can do. It's just "different".

Ok, one more thing. In finder if you use the keyboard to navigate to a file or folder, pressing enter does not open it. That is very very anoying. Is there some other way of opening the file or folder with the keyboard?

Thanks

Yep. Enter is to rename the file. You can open a file or folder by hitting either Cmd-"o" or Cmd-DownArrow. (Cmd-UpArrow takes you up in the hierarchy, Cmd-DownArrow down. These also work in open/save dialogues.)

Hi I was a windows xp user for a while but recently saw the light and bought a Powermac G5 dual 2.7ghz (very pleased with it :)

Only thing is I have grown dependant on the home and end keys in windows and the apple keyboard does not seem to offer this... There is a north west and south east button but they dont seem to do what i want.

Are there any short cuts you know of that could help me?

Thanks.
I'm a long time user of QuicKeys and I often define aliases for keys to make them do just what I want.

I just bought a Bluetooth keyboard and I found myself hitting F13 a lot instead of Delete, a hangover from the Powerbook keyboard. So for now I've defined F13 as an alias for Delete. Once I get used to the keyboard I'll probably use F13 for something else.

Oh ok, surely thats a bad thing to get used to a taylor made keyboard, when you use other computers and stuff isnt that going to get very confusing?

can i change the function of enter to open?

can i change the function of enter to open?

Yep, I just created a shortcut to do just that. It can be scoped to the Finder only.

Oh ok, surely thats a bad thing to get used to a taylor made keyboard, when you use other computers and stuff isnt that going to get very confusing?

I pretty much use only my own machines but I've never had "brainlock" when using a different one. The custom keys are usually extra features.

you could always get a non apple keyboard. that would solve some of your problems, not the enter one, but others. as odd as it may sound, some of the best non apple keyboards to use with macs are made by microsoft. i use a ms usb multimedia keyboard, and love it. most of the extra buttons worked even before i installed the software that came with it. and after i installed it, this thing can do all kinds of cool stuff.

Command right arrow does the same thing as the end key in Windows and Command left arrow does the same thing as home. Command down does the same thing as OS X's end key in text documents and Command up does the same thing as the home key.

I'm a PC guy, pretty new to MAC, using MAC for work now. So still trying to learn simple things.

How do I save to a folder in "Documents"? When I go to "save as" in Excel or Word, it says where: documents--but when I click on documents, it doesn't allow me access to the folders that are in documents. I read this above:

"You can open a file or folder by hitting either Cmd-"o" or Cmd-DownArrow. (Cmd-UpArrow takes you up in the hierarchy, Cmd-DownArrow down. These also work in open/save dialogues.)"

Dumb question but cmd is the apple key (next to option key), correct? Because I tried pressing that plus the "o" key, or plus the downarrow key and it doesn't work.

Also, is there a list anywhere of basic differences between MAC OS and PC OS, for people like me. I'm pretty computer saavy, but being in the PC world most my life, little things like this are very frustrating. But once I learn the basics, I think I'll be able to figure stuff like this out. Thanks.

How do I save to a folder in "Documents"? When I go to "save as" in Excel or Word, it says where: documents--but when I click on documents, it doesn't allow me access to the folders that are in documents. I read this above:

I wonder if you are getting confused by the two save panels that some programs use. I have attached pictures of both from Omniplan you can toggle between them with the little triangle button on the right hand side.

Your navigation choices are not so grate in the small version but the idea is that you have your most used locations there for quick reference, otherwise use the longer version.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 11.png
    Picture 11.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 3
Back