how do I fake?

PowerPC

Registered
Hi, all.

I want to enter chat started by an java applet in an .ASP page, which refuses me because I'm using browsers under Macintosh ("Sorry, your browser version is not currently supported"). I tried every possible browser on Earth, Opera, Netscape, Safari, IE, it still doesn't work. I guess it's because it detects the operating system and doesn't like it, stupid server... :)) Is there any chance to pretend that I'm using, let's say, IE for PC ?

Any working ideas will be much appreciated.

Ty very much!

ps: under Classic environment I installed MRJ 2.2.5, and I also updated my OS X to the lastest Java version, but in vain. I guess it's not because of Java....

Use Omniweb. In preferences you can fake you being what ever you want - from Windows to IRIX and any browser you want. :)

Turn on the debug menu in Safari and from there you can tell it to pretend it is one of several different browsers. One of which is Windows MSIE 6.0 and would probably do what you need.

I forgot how to turn that on but a quick search of this board or google for "safari debug menu" should point you on your way.

-Eric

Err...you have to be careful of this one though - some sites you go to won't work correctly, 'cause some of the stuff the Windows browsers do aren't compatible with the way the Mac browsers do things, and the sites will think you're a Windows browser.

But now whats better: sneaking in and getting thrown out or not even going?
So getting in and having trouble is a lot better then not getting in...
words of wisdom ;)

If a doesn't work with your OS and browser, complain about it. I do either that or simply don't visit the second time unless I really have to.
The main reason for faking headers for me is to simply appear with a weird OS / browser combi.
:)

Hi, all.

Thanks for the ideas, they didn't work, but it doesn't actually mean they weren't brilliant. :))
It seems there's much more crap than we could imagine on a windscreen based server, so I decided to let'em have fun with the crap they're running. :))

Thanks again!
:)

Back