How do I install Personal Web Sharing from install Disk?

Fred Flinstone

XP Divorcee - Mac Virgin
Hi - I have had an extremely frustrating 4 hours or so between trying to google a solution to the problem and examining the contents of the installation disk with pacifist - I am still none the wiser.

I have not tried to set up a localhost server on my Intel Mac running 10.4.9 I have had since september and it should be as easy as pie to do so from what I have read.... but not in my case!

I went to apple > system preferences > sharing and tried to check personal web sharing as suggested in many places but get this for my trouble

'Web Sharing is not installed on this computer. To install Web Sharing, use the Mac OS X installer.'

My question is how do I do so without dausing a reformat and still not getting the option?

I have used pacifist to try and locate either PWS or apache installers inon the disc but sinply am at a loss to find either. Hope someone can help

Thanks in advance

bobw - Thanks this is not the first time you've been around when I have faced crisis (however some of the other issues as yet still go unresolved - like receiving faxes for example)

Will give this a try - I have one major panic that if I try to do this via install mac and bundled softyware from disk I will kiss everything goodbye. Whenever I have a disk in a pc and it asks me to reboot it generally only means one thing.

I'll report back as soon as done with the combo

Installed the combi as suggested - nothing doing though. :(

Incidentally what is the difference between the combi and the regular update. Why is it called combi. Is it that it can be applied to both power and intel where the regular are processor specific?

Realy bugs me still that message - Use the Mac OS X installer.....

How? where is the app I want to install?

Installed the combi as suggested - nothing doing though. :(

Incidentally what is the difference between the combi and the regular update. Why is it called combi. Is it that it can be applied to both power and intel where the regular are processor specific?
The combo updater brings any version of MacOS X 10.4 up to the current version. The regular updater brings the last version up to the current version.

How? where is the app I want to install?
Do you have the Sharing preferences pane in System Preferences?

If so, then check the Personal File Sharing checkbox.

Place the files to be shared in the Shared users folder--/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared.

The combo updater brings any version of MacOS X 10.4 up to the current version. The regular updater brings the last version up to the current version.

Thanks..... :)

Do you have the Sharing preferences pane in System Preferences?

If so, then check the Personal File Sharing checkbox.

Place the files to be shared in the Shared users folder--/Macintosh HD/Users/Shared.

Yes - please read the initial post for more info. That's the whole point I am being asked to install from the disc - but where is the application??? cannot simplly clicj personal web sharing as you and 99% of the posts I have googled on the web seem to suggest. Is this something apple switched off on Intels - kind of a free game that ships with your Mac????

Seems like you would have to run the OS X installer from the disk, as has already been suggested.
Personal web sharing would be installed from the default OS install, would it not?
Either run the installer from that disk (without booting from it) to see what choices there are -
Or, boot to that disk, and do the optional archive and install.

DeltaMac - thanks for the reply -

I have 2 options one is to install the OS with optional applications which is the one that requires the reboot (and as I have said I am terrified of that one as I have no way of backing up everything first.

The second is just an install of the options which does not require a reboot and is notyhing more than the window dressing apps like iWeb and safari etc....

I have checked the content of this of XCode tools etc and my one conclusion is it can only be in the install bundle which requires the reboot.

To me reboot with a disc inserted means reformat!!!

This is extremely bad news so as it indicates my machine came without pws installed and 9 months later when I decide I want to install it it would mean having to reformat the entire machine for the sake of one little pplication - why is this not available separately for installation?

You are under the mis-conception that you _must_ erase just to re-install OS X. That is not the case. You _should_ backup your files before you do this. There is always some risk any time you install/reinstall any software. Many installs do require a reboot, but generally result in no problems. I can assure you that this Archive & Install is (usually) completely successful. If you are at all concerned, then you should back up those files before you begin. You could use this as an incentive to get that backup drive that you have been thinking about. You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent external drive.
This is the procedure:
Reboot with the installer disk in the drive.
Start the install, and choose 'Options' when you get to the screen where you select a drive.
Choose the Option to Archive & Install, with saving network settings and user files selected. You will see that as a sub-choice. You will also see that 'Erase' is another option, and is not automatic! Just don't choose erase, unless you are prepared for what that brings :)
Continue with the install.

I must have explained that badly -- sorry

If I double click the install packet on the disk the only thing it does is present em with the 'need to restart' screen (therefore disk is in machine). I can see no way of opning its' contents with pacifist!

As for the optionals - As mentioned this includes all the windowdressing application like iWew Safari iCal etc - no sign of pws or apache anywhere withing that packet even upon investigation with pacifist....

I think if either were different I might have had this solved before ever coming to the forum for help. There simply does not seem to be an isolated application package for either on the disc unless they are stored in the master executable - which cannot seemingly be browsed with Pacifist

Apart from the Installer which wants to restart with the disk in every time here is what I have:

Custom install:

688z6lg.jpg

Optional Install:

6g49mxc.jpg

xCode Tools

Clearly nothing doing in this lot. I even opened each of the XCode packages with Pacifist. Where is the standalone for PWS?

646f9yo.jpg

Forget about using pacifist to find and install the missing functions to your computer- the package you are looking for does not exist.

.....and if it did, you would still have to reboot the computer as part of the install process!

Rebooting is nothing to be paranoid about - and in this case you will actually be booting to the Install disk, not the harddrive. You will be bypassing the harddrive.

Follow the advice you were given - boot to the install disk and use it to do an Archive and Install, selecting the option to save network settings and user files.

The fact that the program is somehow corrupted or missing from the operating system is NOT normal and could also be an indication of worse problems to come - so you will have to take action at some point.

*If you have files that you just absolutely cannot risk losing, you will have to get an experienced computer tech to back them up for you before the Archive and Install or learn to do so yourself.

Fred Flinstone - If you do _not_ have an Apache folder inside your /System/Library/StartupItems folder - as any default installation of OS X should have, then you need to reinstall OS X. The Archive & Install is your simplest choice, and although you must reboot to the DVD to do this, it does _not_ mean that you erase the hard drive. You can choose to erase and install, but that's your _option_.

If the Archive & Install does not put an Apache folder in your /System/Library/StartupItems folder, then I see very little other choice other than an erase and full install. I would not try a drag install from another Mac of Apache web server, as I don't know what other services may still be missing. A system reinstall is your next step....
Just my opinion - Maybe you should decide if your having web sharing is really necessary at this point. Nothing else about your system is likely to be affected.

Pacifist will let you install The Apache stuff in system-library-startupitems.
this is a pic of Pacifist and the related part of the OS X install DVD.

apache.jpg

jb.

Open a finder window - search for Apache and look at all of the Apache related files that show up.

Extracting Startupitems/Apache from the Install Disk may not be enough to solve the problem.
As DeltaMac mentioned, just replacing Apache web server may not be sufficient, other required
services may still be missing.

I guess you didn't try this first. A search from the Finder does not naturally search in the System folder or in hidden folders, so even the Apache folder, in startup items, is not in the results. The only Apache pieces that show in the results are some documentation files which are in the /Library.

Better to simply do the Archive & Install, and be done with it.

The "Open a finder window - search for Apache" comment was meant as a simple example to show you cannot successfully fix the problem by just extracting one file from the Install Disk - i was supporting your point! :D

Hi - first of all I'm not sure what happened here - sorry deltamac I did not see this post abpout the install (not erasing) until now - maybe our posts overlapped.

I have preciousl little in ~/system/library and Apacher is definitely not there.

I can find Apache documentation etc in Documentation and a few other locations but nothing to suggest that the package itself is present. So with heart in mouth I'm gonna try follow your insgtructions to the letter and hope that there is a god in heaven to guide me through this. I have no way of backing up my data...

- I'll post back here when I have found out either way, I am acting purely on faith of what you guys have so generously advised. Ypu can understand that coming from 15 years of Windows why I am loathe to reboot my machine with a disk in it particularly a boot disk or os Installation

Deltamac - you must have been a skilled Carpenter in another life - You hit the nail right on the head. Thanks my friend - worked like a charm.

Also with this I was able to salvage those all important Fax-fix files from the 10.4.7 install and save them out (couldn't get them anywhere) so I have overwtitten the files in IOSerialFamily.txt and repaired permissions etc - now all I need is a friend to send me a fax to see if it works. If it does you've just killed 2 birds with one stone.

Very Grateful to you for this - wish it were easier and less time-consuming nevertheless

Cheers! :)

I have preciousl little in ~/system/library and Apacher is definitely not there.

Are you sure you are looking at...
/System/Library/StartupItems
I'd be a little concerned about the "~" in your path indicating "user"
You mention that you have "precious little"
I just did a check, and on a minimum installation of Tiger, I have 51 folders in my /System/Library/StartupItems folder, including "Apache".

jb.

Back