How do I make this preference work?

iPenguin

Hey, Look!
Hi all,

When I got my Powerbook a couple of months back, I realized it had a new option under its modem preferences that my old iMac hadn't had. When using Apple Internal 56k Modem (v.92) there's an option to "Notify me of incoming calls while connected to the Internet." Then there are two more check boxes to play an alert and to remind me before disconnecting. Now, I've had this feature on since I got this computer, and for some reason it doesn't work. I even checked it once by having my mom call me at specific time to see if it would notify me. No, luck.
Does anyone have any idea how to make this work properly? Does my phone need to somehow be connected to my computer, or am I just doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

-iPenguin

Your ISP also has to support the option, if it is not V92 capable it will not work at all.

arkayn said:
Your ISP also has to support the option, if it is not V92 capable it will not work at all.

The ISP has nothing to do with this. The'll never know if you get a phone call or not unless you tell them yourself.

The phone company does however. You need to have "call waiting" installed, and it has to be the correct type of signal from the phone company to work with your modem. If you are in the US, it should work. If you're not, it might still work, but it is a lot more uncertain.

European phone companies use a bunch of different standards to accomodate the same services, such as "caller ID" and "call waiting", and they may or may not be compatible with your modem.

Get "call waiting" enabled in your phone, check that you get a signal when someone calls you in the middle of a conversation with someone else, and then try it with your modem.

Um, I think you'll find your ISP DOES have something to do with it. ONLY v.92 modems support "pausing" a data call while you make/receive a voice call. for that to work, the hardware/software at the ISPs end also needs to support v.92. if not, your modem will try to "pause" the call, and you'll probably just get disconnected.

Pengu said:
Um, I think you'll find your ISP DOES have something to do with it. ONLY v.92 modems support "pausing" a data call while you make/receive a voice call. for that to work, the hardware/software at the ISPs end also needs to support v.92. if not, your modem will try to "pause" the call, and you'll probably just get disconnected.

Thanks for your help Pengu, you are absolutely correct.

I didn't think about that part, of course the ISP needs to support v.92 if you want to continue surfing after taking the phone call, without having to redial.

However, if you only want to detect incoming calls while surfing, and answer them, you don't need anything particular at the ISP end, if you don't mind redialing to connect to the Internet again.

Back