How much RAM can my 17" pb handle?

quiksan

awesomer...
I thought it was maxed at 1gb, and couldn't take advantage of any ram over 1gb. (I have the original 17" btw)

But when I go to crucial, it shows the 1gb ships as especially suited for my 1ghz 17" pb.
leads me to believe I can cram 2gb of RAM in there if I want to fok over the almost $1000.

Can anyone confirm whether or not my machine would actually get the benefits of the full 2gb of ram, vs only the 1gb I've got in there now? I'd be tempted to do it if it'll work...

your powerbook will support 2x 1gb DDR333 memories. It is the same with the G4 867mhz 12'' powerbook. Apple says 768mb max (256+512), but even 1.28gb (256+1024) are possible (we had a thread on this).
But I don't know if it's really worth to go for 2gb instead of one.

It should work. But it depends on what you're doing. You may not see a speed increase.

thanks guys
yeah, I ran a couple searches but didn't see any threads related. maybe used the wrong terms.

i'm not ready to drop another grand on the powerbook, but the thought's intriguing. I'd thought 1gb was maxed-out, so I was curious when I saw the listing on crucial.

I was looking at ram because it seems that if I have a firefox window open with 8 tabs, it seems to hog the processor. not sure what the deal is there, but wondered if somehow it was maxing out my ram. suppose ot could b something else, but TOP shows firefox hogging away. hmmm

thanks for clarifying.

Back