How to get an iPod repaired?

voice-

Registered
OK, this has been my headache since January. My iPod is dead and will net react. No attempts at reviving it has worked, where the HELL should I send it?
(Norway, btw.)

I looked through Apple's website till I found an e-mail. I mailed them and was replied with a phonenumber.
I called Apple Support and was told to do it myself on Apple's Support website. I logged in with my Apple ID and was tld that "my browser sent a bad query which the server could not understand"
So I pressed the feedback button to webmasters, and informed about the error. It's been months and they haven't fixed it...

I'm stuck, what should I do? Makes me really not wanna buy anything from that company ever again...

Is there a possibility of fixing it myself?
ksv, I know you opened yours, but the deep.no site really doesn't work well, could you mail or PM me the pictures? I think it's the battery which has slid out of its connector, and in that case it's be an easy fix.
And did you manage to close the iPod afterwards?

Doesn't work well? Are you using internet explorer? :confused:
Btw, the address is http://deep.urbanturban.no , the deep.trash.no one probably doesn't work.

But taking it apart probably doesn't help much if you don't have any idea what's wrong. You can't even be sure if it's a hardware issue. My guess would be the battery being completely dead, that tends to happen with lithium-ion batteries. How old is it, and were you having trouble with the battery before the iPod died?

I had no problems putting it back together again. The metal back cover is locked to the plastic with clips.

No, it doesn't work well.
I was using OmniWeb, Camino, Mozilla, Safari and Internet Explorer for OS X, Mozilla, iCab and Internet Explorer for OS 9 and Opera, Mozilla and Internet Explorer for Windows 98 and XP...pretty sure it's Apple's servers that are messed up...

No, I didn't have battery problems, in fact I hadn't had probmens in a long while with my iPod. It's now one and a half years old and out of warranty...

Ahh, I thought you were talking about the Apple Support site...deep.urbanterror works perfectly, thank you.

Seems I have now no way but your way. I can get my iPod repaired, the lady at Apple's Support phone didn't understand the language too well, but she could tell me the price of getting my 5GB iPod fixed. It's as much as if I'd buy a 10GB new today...

My broke and I took it apart without any instructions and fixed it. So you could always try that.

On the other hand I had an older one that still worked so I did not have to fear destroying it.

My problem seemed to be that the hard drive had come lose from the mother board.

Plugged it back in, and reset the battery (unplugged it and plugged it back in) and all has been great.

Matthew

That's the link I used. The problem turned out to be my headphones but Apple asked me to send my iPod for testing, it only took a few days and they paid for all the couriers. Of course if its not under warranty then it will probably be quite expensive to get it fixed by Apple. voice, how much did she quote you, was it a flat fee? Since you don't know what's up with it yet then I thought they would have a fee for testing it and then give you an estimate for repair?

Originally posted by Inline_guy
My problem seemed to be that the hard drive had come lose from the mother board.

Plugged it back in, and reset the battery (unplugged it and plugged it back in) and all has been great.

Matthew
Sorry, tried that, but it's still a no-go...no more disconnectable parts to reconnect, and the iPod remains dead...
Originally posted by Fahrvergnuugen
https://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/index.html

try that. i got my ipod repaird under warantee for 30 bucks [they charge you for shipping]. the form works fine with safari and IE.
The problem, I believe, is that I live in Norway...I think it's the international thing that is bugged...
Originally posted by monktus
That's the link I used. The problem turned out to be my headphones but Apple asked me to send my iPod for testing, it only took a few days and they paid for all the couriers. Of course if its not under warranty then it will probably be quite expensive to get it fixed by Apple. voice, how much did she quote you, was it a flat fee? Since you don't know what's up with it yet then I thought they would have a fee for testing it and then give you an estimate for repair?
First of all, if it were my headphones the iPod'd still sync with the Mac, wouldn't it? And those broke along time ago anyways...
Now, the price was, and I quote, "299 € for the repair + 30 € for shipping. It will be a bad deal for you"

That's right :(
Say, if I buy another one and the earpieces break as quickly as my last (after a few months), do I get that back on warranty?

Originally posted by voice-
That's right :(
Say, if I buy another one and the earpieces break as quickly as my last (after a few months), do I get that back on warranty?

Yea, everything bought in Norway has a one year or longer warranty.

In EU (= European Union) all computer devices and mobile phones have a 2 year = 24 months warranty. At least it applies to devices bought after march / june / depends on contry / of last year. Thus having bought e.g. an iBook in Europe in August gives the iBook a 24 month warranty, even if after 12 months some problems might occur, Apple might want to send it now to Europe to have it fixed...

I'd try probably opening the iPod and seeing what's wrong myself, if having it fixed has tat price..

Back