How to make a stack from a folder

leuca

Registered
I want to be able to take a folder (perhaps in a Finder window) and automate the construction of a stack. For example, take the Applications folder and create a set of aliases for everything in it. Then transfer these aliases to another folder, perhaps called "Applications_stack". The aliases must be removed form the original folder. The above is only a suggestion of how the desired result might be achieved. I don't want to exclude other effective solutions.

I'm not sure why you would manually do such a thing, as opposed to just dragging the Applications folder to the Dock, or using one of various accessory applications that would automate this behavior. However, the simple manual action is to create the new folder, select all applications you want in it, hold Command+Option, and drag the selected apps to the new folder.

My example using the Applications folder was a bad one. I need to do this with an arbitrary folder. Thankfully, you solution covers both.
So much for ignoring common shortcuts.!

You really should learn how to use you Mac. First take the folder where you want to save files and then click on the folder and drag it to the right side of your Dock, the let it do so it sticks to the Dock. Then create a file and save it your desktop. Then click on that saved file and hold the click and drag it your folder icon it the dock but keep you click on to drill into the folder, then let it go to move it the folder.

Read about spring-loaded folders at the MacWorld article Spring into spring-loaded folders.

To easy.

Back