How to make an pdf document read only

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by midijeep, Sep 5, 2010.

1. midijeep

midijeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Hi all,
    I want to make a pdf document I created with Microsoft Word a reading only pdf. I don;t want other to be able to edit, copy or print the test. Any ideas on what to use or how to do it?

TIA

2. Satcomer

Satcomer
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    In Geostationary Orbit

Highlight the file icon and do a 'Get Info' on it (the key combination is command key+i) on it. The 'Get Info' panel while will popup and you cab set permissions there.

midijeep likes this.
  3. ElDiabloConCaca

ElDiabloConCaca
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    U.S.D.A. Prime

I don't think that's what he means... while Satcomer's suggestion will make the document a "read-only" document in terms of UNIX permissions, there are Adobe-specific ways of making a document non-editable, non-selectable, and non-printable (which UNIX-style permissions cannot accomplish, especially if the document is transferred to someone else's computer -- they can override those security settings if on a Mac or Linux/UNIX computer, and they won't even work at all on a Windows computer).

I believe you'll need Adobe Acrobat Pro in order to do this. If you have that, select "Advanced > Security..." and create a new policy (with a password) that restricts printing and text selection... then apply it to the document you'd like.

midijeep likes this.
  4. DavidSmith

DavidSmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Hey, you can use Adobe Acrobat to do this. Click Secure button and select encrypt with password. In pop-up window of Password Security- Settings, you can set the open password and owner password.
    I found a article talking about how to create and crack pdf password in detail, ;)

midijeep likes this.
  5. midijeep

midijeep
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Registered

Thanks for the responses. I did find that if you open the word doc in pages then go to File/Export. select PDF tab, than click the Security drop down arrow and select Print, add the password. This is an easy way to do it.