How to make an pdf document read only

Discussion in 'Mac OS X System & Mac Software' started by midijeep, Sep 5, 2010.

1. midijeep

midijeep Registered

Doctor of Audiology
    Hi all,
    I want to make a pdf document I created with Microsoft Word a reading only pdf. I don;t want other to be able to edit, copy or print the test. Any ideas on what to use or how to do it?

TIA

2. Satcomer

Satcomer In Geostationary Orbit

Looking toward the sky
    Highlight the file icon and do a 'Get Info' on it (the key combination is command key+i) on it. The 'Get Info' panel while will popup and you cab set permissions there.

midijeep likes this.
  3. ElDiabloConCaca

ElDiabloConCaca U.S.D.A. Prime

CTO
    I don't think that's what he means... while Satcomer's suggestion will make the document a "read-only" document in terms of UNIX permissions, there are Adobe-specific ways of making a document non-editable, non-selectable, and non-printable (which UNIX-style permissions cannot accomplish, especially if the document is transferred to someone else's computer -- they can override those security settings if on a Mac or Linux/UNIX computer, and they won't even work at all on a Windows computer).

I believe you'll need Adobe Acrobat Pro in order to do this. If you have that, select "Advanced > Security..." and create a new policy (with a password) that restricts printing and text selection... then apply it to the document you'd like.

midijeep likes this.
  4. DavidSmith

DavidSmith Registered

Hey, you can use Adobe Acrobat to do this. Click Secure button and select encrypt with password. In pop-up window of Password Security- Settings, you can set the open password and owner password.
    I found a article talking about how to create and crack pdf password in detail, ;)

midijeep likes this.
  5. midijeep

midijeep Registered

Doctor of Audiology
    Thanks for the responses. I did find that if you open the word doc in pages then go to File/Export. select PDF tab, than click the Security drop down arrow and select Print, add the password. This is an easy way to do it.