how to play OTHER avi files?

ronmacosx

Registered
I have Quick time player for mac with A52 codec, I also have quick time for windows, Windows media player for mac, also for windows, I also have VLC, Fli4Mac and Divx player BUT still i can not play some .avi files and wmv files...What is the problem?Please help. basically Im using Macbook pro with VMware.

Try Perian: http://www.perian.org/

It's hard to know if there are additional plugins required, if the files have DRM or are corrupted. I'm assuming these are files you've downloaded? If so, you never quite know what you get.

I have Quick time player for mac with A52 codec, I also have quick time for windows, Windows media player for mac, also for windows, I also have VLC, Fli4Mac and Divx player BUT still i can not play some .avi files and wmv files...What is the problem?Please help. basically Im using Macbook pro with VMware.
Your post intermingles questions about two different operating systems. This is a Mac forum. You should expect the most authoritative answers about Mac issues. Explain your Mac setup and the problem there that you are trying to solve.

There are many members here who are conversant with Windows. Separately explain your Windows setup and the problems there that you are trying to solve on Windows.

BTW, forget about Windows Media Player for the Mac. Microsoft dropped support for it in favor of Flip4Mac ages ago. There is nothing that WMP for the Mac can do that Flip4Mac does not do better.

Plus if try to view anything that was made with Windows Media Player 10+ it will have Microsoft DRM on it. You won't be able to see Microsoft DRMed videos because Microsoft refuses to license it's DRM to other manufactures, or make players for other manufactures (like iTunes, etc.).

I second the recommendation of Perian. It's great and handles a lot of different video types.

However, if you're dealing with files that VLC can't play, I don't think Perian will be likely to play them either (still worth a try, though). If you can't play an AVI with Perian or VLC, it's probably using Intel Indeo video. This is a very old codec that was never released for OS X (although it was released for OS 9 and older). There's really no good way to play these on OS X, AFAIK.

If you open the AVI in QuickTime Player and select Show Info from the Window menu, what does it say under "Video codec"? That will give us more information.

Back