How to reformat?

MissyC

Registered
Hey,

I've had my G4 about a year now and it's suddenly got quite snarled up (probably with all the junk I've downloaded no doubt!) Now things like pressing the eject button on the keyboard doesn't open the cd drive. I thought I'd reformat, as I have lots of time on my hands, and I'm not really fussed about programs that fix as a system.

BUT how do I do it? I'm used to reformatting PC's but I've never done a mac. Is it as simple as putting the cd in, running disk utility and wiping the drive?

Thanks!

Before you reformat and freshly install panther/jaguar, try to add another useraccount and see if your system became fresh again. Open System Preferences -> Accounts -> "+". Make sure you give the new account admin rights.
If this is not what you desire, simply use the panther/jaguar DVD/CD and boot from it (hold "c" while booting). In the menu you will have the option to start Disk Utility. Here you can erase (=format) your disc and also partition it. But remember this: all your data will be lost! After this, you can simply go on with the installation.

Back