How to reveal the ipod_control folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleran

Registered
Hey guys, I've been trying to find out how to set my iPod's ipod_control folder to be visible, however have had no luck. I tried using a SetFile but it appears to have no effect. Anyone have any suggestions?

I just want to be able to manipulate the songs that the ipod plays with out having to open up some program to do it (reveal the ipod_control folder in the finder since as of now I can only access it by terminal). It's not like this is extreamly neccessary, but its the kind of thing I like to do just because I can :p

If you have installed from your Developer Tools CD, you should have the applications: /Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo and /Developer/Tools/SetFile. You can use these tools to show files that are hidden without the use of a period before the name.

In the terminal:
/Developer/Tools/GetFileInfo filename
A capital V following "attributes:" indicates a hidden file, and lowercase v a visible file.

To unhide a file:
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a v filename

HIH :)

kukident close...

You also need a capital i there...without that, even if the folder is marked visible, it still won't show up in the Finder. Heh, I used this in my user folder to hide some folders from the Finder but that I use in the Terminal.

Aleran - if you did install the Developer tools, then do these commands in the Terminal application:

/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a vI /Volumes/name_of_iPod/iPod_Control
/Developer/Tools/SetFile -a vI /Volumes/name_of_iPod/iPod_Control/Music

(Note: that's an uppercase i, not an L)

Um, next part is tricky. Inside the music folder is all those folders that actually hold the mp3 files...you have to make all of them visible too. I dunno if they're all the same on all iPods, mine are named F00 through F19. Unfortunately, you can't set the file attributes for a bunch of folders, so you have to go through and do them all one by one, but after you do all of that, you should be able to see all the mp3 files in the Finder. Same command as above to do all those.

I know this is an extremely old thread, but it comes up first or second result on Google search for this problem and only answered half my question. To make all the sub-directories and files visible as well you can just use find and xargs. The whole routine would be:

cd /Volumes/name_of_iPod/iPod_Control
SetFile -a vI .
cd Music
SetFile -a vI .
find . | xargs -n1 SetFile -a vI

Worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back