how to setup mac mini to run windows

maw

Registered
I've been asked to setup a new mac mini and set it to run windows. When I downloaded the Mac mini User Guide there is no mention of using mac mini as windows.

How do I do this?

Thanks
MaryAnn

'When I downloaded the Mac mini User Guide there is no mention of using mac mini as windows.' - which is expected. It is MacOS X, for Intel based Macs, that allows one to install 'Boot Camp' - to boot either from MacOS X or WIndows XP; not, a Mac Mini specifically.

If it preferred to run MacOS X, with the option of also (simultaneously) running Windows (3.1, 95, 98 98SE, ME, NT, 2000, XP, and possibly 'Bob') or Linux, or both, then consider Parallels 'Parallels Desktop for Mac'.

'Boot Camp' is free, but betaware - and some version may appear in MacOS X 10.5 ('Leopard'). 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' is currently $49.99.

Thank you for reminding me why I can run windows and/or mac on the Mac Mini...boot camp. I'm still a newbie with macs and am working in tech support for both windows and macs.

It sounds like once I install boot camp on the Mac Mini I can boot with a windows drivers cd to install what I need to run windows.

Thanks again!

Just a dumb question. How do you install XP on the mac? Just plug in the disk and install like you would, say. Mac OS 10.4? Where does it reside on the system? I have a friend that is going to medical school and some of her software is Microsoft specific, I gather, so I was trying to find out about this application and how it works.

You use BootCamp, like barhar said -- it's a program from Apple that will repartition your hard drive (Windows needs it's own partition), format it, burn you a Windows driver disk for the Apple hardware (to be installed booted into Windows after you've installed Windows), then allow you to boot from the Windows XP SP2 Install CD and install Windows XP as you would on any other PC.

Back