How warm is your MacBook Pro?

My new 4GHz Intel Powerbook definitely runs hotter than my old 867MHz 15" Titanium. Under normal usage the heat is quite tolerable for my laps but when I run something like Win 2K under Parallels or other CPU intensive stuff it does get a tad too hot. I'd trade in lower temperatures for higher speed any day though (was that the correct way around now?). Especially since I installed an extra GB of memory (now maxed out at 2GB) this baby flies. Flying as in Concorde not Super Constellation, mind you!
One more thing: It is quiter than my old Powerbook. The fans don't kick in as easily. I have to really make it work very hard to get them to spin up.

All in all I'm extremely pleased. I still don't like the name though. All I'm waiting for now is a 160GB SATA drive at 5400RPM and a non-MatSHITa optical drive (one that is firmware hackable to get rid of region code restrictions) and I'm happy for at least the next 2 years.

no. that's just silly. ever since the first dual processor macs came around, the idea that it means that its double the clock speed has meant nothing. try playing doom3 at full frame rate. that thing needs clock cycles, not processors.

you have a 2ghz Mac Book Pro. Powerbooks are slow and old.

UPDATE: A possible heat fix has been found!

A possible fix (not for the faint at heart) for MacBook Pro heat issues. The fixes are working their way around the net so please read ALL THE FORUMS because the real pros are starting to post on the fix. So here are all the links:

1. Apple Discussion Boards

2. The original Something Awful thread

3. Macbook Pro guide. Get it while it is hot. I have a feeling this PDF will disappear soon.

I have to state I do not have a MacBook Pro but I do know about home built computers and the application of thermal paste. IMHO Less is better, but you better know what you are doing or you can do harm to your computer.

Lt Major Burns said:
no. that's just silly. ever since the first dual processor macs came around, the idea that it means that its double the clock speed has meant nothing. try playing doom3 at full frame rate. that thing needs clock cycles, not processors.

That's not precise, either. Doom 3 needs processor power, but doesn't properly take advantage of both processor cores. And much of the processing is done in the GPU, which is logically separated from the CPU.

I'd explain it like this: The clock frequency is merely a physical attribute of the processor, not a performance indicator. As another example, the Core Duo has 2 MB of L2 cache which is shared by the two cores. It doesn't become 4 MB just because there are two cores.

OK, I was just joking about the 4GHz. Of course you can't say it is a 4GHz box but I like thinking of it being one. Hypothetically. But technically incorrect.

jtenenbaum said:
Anyone try and contact Apple support about this, and will they do a logic board upgrade to rev D which seems to have fixed this known problem?

-J

I have a 8614 serial machine which is a D board. I run it on a lappad because it is warm. I would say it is about the same as my G4 Powerbook 1.33. It is actually cooler running on battery than the G4 but when charging and using at the same time with processors maxed for 5 minutes it gets hot over the left speaker and above the function keys. The bottom is warm as well. Resetting the PMU and calibrating the battery helped alot. I haven't done any system firmware updates but it is very usable, if you have a lap pad, remember its not a laptop but a desktop replacement.

I called Apple, they gave me a # to get it evaluated locally but our dealer told me over the phone the temps I was getting were normal as far as they wre concerned.41C on the drive.

BlackFlag said:
We have a MacBook Pro at work, and it does get hot too. Sounds like it is quite a common problem!

As for monitoring the temperature, I use iPulse. Seems to do the job! :)

It wasn't updated yet for the Mac Book, it won't show any temps!

Back