I lost 5 Gigs of Music....

RPS

Registered
Story:

I wanted to reformat, so I backup some stuff, including some Preferences, *iTunes* preferences too. I install, everything's okay. iTunes opens, says "This iPod is linked to another iTunes library, do you want to change it?" I clicked yes. Everything was gone. I had forgotten I'd set it to synchronise with my library, and my new library was empty...:(

I feel so depressed..

I know this is a long shot but I might as well ask, is there any way to recover them?:(

-Depressed RPS.

If you didn't save in your backup the folder Music with its iTunes Library, there isn't an easy way to get your music back. Maybe with some expensive hard disk data recovery programs but that'd be expensive.

Well, there are companies like Drivesavers, but they charge at a minimum of $100, and that's for easy jobs like crashed 5 GB hard drives. That's pretty extreme.

Let this be a lesson to everyone with a large MP3 or AAC library: Export your playlist at regular intervals, or at least after you add large amounts of music, so you can at least go back and re-download or re-rip everything!

Yikes, sux man.

The danger with Apple's iPhoto and iTunes is that people store their vital files in the Apple-designated folders. These folders are much too easily erased. In the future I'd recommend having a different music storage or backup space besides the "iTunes library" to minimize silliness.

Dlatu: Use Disk Copy to create a compressed, read-only disk image. Then stuff this file if necessary.

Read the original post, Randman. His iPod thought he was using a different computer (in a way he was), so it decided to follow the RIAA's demands and not let RPS share his music illegally... hence, it deleted his music. His music backup, it sounds like.

Do you have the original CD's, RPS?

But it's not completely hopeless, right? iTunes can help in this regard, simply tell it to import all the songs on a CD and then spit the CD out every time you insert a music CD.

My bad, just noticed I ommitted a word. I meant to say iPod backup. I don't keep the majority of my songs on my hard drive, but I do have a copy of my entire iPod inventory on my external hard drive, just in case something like that ever happened or the iPod (perish the thought) was stolen or lost.

Back