I need a better trash

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
I use OS X with several users.

If another use leaves someting in his Trash, my Trash doesn't empty correctly anymore.

When I want to force emptying the Trash (I am the administrator), I have to do it in UNIX, playing with sudo, rm -R and chmod. SOmetimes I need several pathes because the * doesn't include names starting with a .

So why not making
1) A different icon is something is left in my Trash or one others Trash
2) Have a special function (reserved to Administrators) that purge all Trashes

Hrmm.... this can probably be done with a combination of AppleScript and Perl..... a program that would empty all trashes for an administrator. And... although I know a little AppleScript, I don't know much Perl... can anybody do this?

1) it doesn't empty
2) it opens a dialog window asking if I want to continue despite the fact that I don't have the rights toempty everything
3) sometime, even file I've created don't empty

The only way is through Terminal window and UNIX "rm"

Humm, I'd suggest a logout script for the shell they are using, in bash its .bash_logout dunno about others, and it's propably quite easy to device...

are you saying that if i make a file named ".bash_logout" and place it in the user's directory, it would execute when they logout?

for example:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
rm -rf ~/.Trash

Would that work?

Can't Batchmod do what you want to do ?

Xoot, you've wrote it, is your tool able to delete items from other users ? I believe yes. I think I did it once or two by this way.

Back