I photo

kimib

Registered
I have been having trouble with I photo when I try to view any images whether in slideshow mode or just looking in the library, I cannot see any pictures on the largest size which is not very useful when I am trying to review them. I get a grey box with an exclamation mark. I could also not drag pictures into programmes. This was version 6 and so I was advised to upgrade using I life 8 which I have done. The dragging problem has been fixed but I am still unable to view large pictures... any sugestions of what I could try?
I regularly install the updates available.

'I have been having trouble with I photo' - the application is 'iPhoto'.

'I cannot see any pictures on the largest size which is not very useful when I am trying to review them. I get a grey box with an exclamation mark.' - this is an indication that the original file(s) has / hav been moved, from where 'iPhoto' has placed it.

Consult 'iPhoto 6: Image appears when browsing but is blank or exclamation mark when editing' for instructions to resolve your problem.

Have You Tried The Slider Bar At The Bottom Of The Window In Iphoto-slide To The Right For Larger Pics. Don't Know If This Will Help Or Not.
Dickster----------------------------

The excclamation point is caused by your having done something, anything, to your photos in the library in finder. Users are not meant to do anything to their photos in finder, do whatever you want to do to them from within the app itself. Stay out of the finder!

You might also try rebuilding the library following these instructions: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947 If the first, easiest option does not work, read further down and try the manual rebuild. You may well end up with duplicates (as it says), but it will be worth dealing with them in order to salvage your photos.

In iPhoto Preferences, do you have a tick for the option to "Copy items to the iPhoto Library"? Ticking this pref protects you photos by placing the copy in a hierarchy of folders within iPhoto's parent folder.

Usually, in my experience, the grey box with an exclamation mark usually appears when you don't have this option ticked and you are managing your photos yourself. In doing this you can't move the photo/s once you've imported to iPhoto because if you do, the alias that is in the iPhoto Library will be "orphaned" as it's connection to the original has been broken. The images you select within the iPhoto Library window are simply aliases whether or not the original lies within iPhoto's hierarchy or within your own chosen location.

Back