I want to throw my imac G5 out the window

broke

Registered
why ?

everytime the imac is shut down the hard way because of a system "freeze", and I have to turn it off without shutting it down properly or because of a power failure (someone unplug AC by accident). Well, I know, this is not the way you should handle the mac, but it happens.

now, when I log in, iphoto albums is not recognized, itunes libary is corrupt, I have a new dock. It seems like a fresh install has been done, just by the look of it.

Is there a way to easily get my old settings, iphoto/itunes libary back in business ?

and by the way, how do I remove the annoying "FileVault recover disk space" prompt when I shut down.

When I had a similar iTunes corruption problem, I had to wipe it and reinstall. Sorry, I don't know a hack for disabling the recovery dialog. The real question is why is it freezing up?

it's the first time it "freezed", so that's probably not an issue.

My iphoto album / itunes libary = damaged

The Dock is like a "first time install"

everything else seems to be okay, except a file 2.3GB that I was downloading at 87% @ BitTorrent, not is back to 5%

Do you ever do regular maintenance on your mac? A few things to do:

* apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions
* reboot in single user mode and do a repair: reboot holding command + s keys till you see black screen with white text/type fsck -f/type reboot when finished
* How full is your hard drive? The fuller the drive, the worse things can get
* Do you have Limewire or other peer-to-peer software on your computer? Notorious for causing issues; I think Bit Torrent is going to fall into this category

Do you ever do regular maintenance on your mac? A few things to do:

* apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions
* reboot in single user mode and do a repair: reboot holding command + s keys till you see black screen with white text/type fsck -f/type reboot when finished
* How full is your hard drive? The fuller the drive, the worse things can get
* Do you have Limewire or other peer-to-peer software on your computer? Notorious for causing issues; I think Bit Torrent is going to fall into this category

I would suggest doing these things though I've never had an issue with Limewire or BitTorrent on a Mac. Before wiping the drive, do an "Archive and Install"- you should be up and running in a matter of 5-10 minutes. A and I is really quite quick, and leaves settings untouched for the most part. I believe this happened to me once with 10.1 or 10.2, I don't remember, but I figured out the problem was fixable (after wiping and reinstalling) but this could be different with 10.(whatever your running) because Apple has made subtle changes in the Kernel since then as well as a bit of the standard operating procedures and account management.

Back