Ibook G4/Tiger cannot install ?

orasis

Registered
I have a Ibook G4 that I cannot install tiger to .. I have two problems...

1. When I start with a retail version of Tiger (at least that's what ebay said.) it shows me the grey apple, nice and sharp, and then the screen changes to a horrible, horrible 2 color black and white dithered image of two mighty mouses showing me to add batteries and turn it on. The installer hangs here without a mouse.

2. Since I have a USB mouse (not mighty) I plugged it in and the installation continues but it's still in the horrid black and white dithering (grayscale) that I got on the insert mouse screen.

I can barely read a thing it's that bad... just horrible dithered black and white.

It's not the screen because booting Arch Linux shows a perfect colored frame buffer and the folder with the question mark has proper colors.

Why is an Ibook G4 demanding that I install a mighty mouse to continue installation? How come the track pad will not do? (and yes the track pad does work.)

I bought this machine second hand is it possible that the system firmware is updated to a wrong version?

Because when I check the system info it says Powerbook6,7

Or is that normal?

Thanks.

Is it possible that I am using a retail version of Tiger that was released before my Ibook G4 (1.33ghz) and therefore lacks the drivers needed for proper video/track pad operation?

(I've found out that the identification as powerbook6.7 is normal)

Sounds like you got OEM installers instead of retail installers. Is the disk black and perhaps say version 10.4.6? If the disk is grey and there is more than one you've got OEM installers.

There's no firmware update for your iBook G4 (Mid 2005) model.
If your OS X 10.4 DVD is black, the label will tell you what version of OS X will be installed.
If it is 10.4 - then it is too old. Your iBook G4 (Mid 2005) requires a minimum of OS X 10.4.2

Yes 10.4.2 sounds about right.

But is it normal for it to ask for a mighty mouse during install? I mean it has a trackpad?

I was thinking since this machine is second hand... Is it possible that someone 'flashed' the wrong bios unto this? Maybe I'm using the PowerMac G4 (whatever one the desktop is) and that's why it's asking for a mouse?

If that's the case where can I find the original Ibook G4 bios and flash it back to the original?

What do you mean by '10.4.2 sound about right'? Are you guessing?
Don't you have the DVD? The OS X version is listed on the label, so what do you see there?
Macs don't have a BIOS, but do have firmware. Some Macs do have firmware updates available, but not your model iBook. Any other firmware update will refuse to install, so it's not possible to flash to something else.

As for the mighty mouse message, your installer is asking for a mouse to be available, and - you are right, the trackpad should be good enough. I suspect that you have:
A wrong version of OS X (too old - you need to verify that you have 10.4.2 or higher), or you have a faulty or damaged installer DVD, or
You don't have an original DVD, but a copy. If you can't provide the OS X version information from the label - maybe the label is inaccurate, eh?

You still haven't responded to this question: What color is your OS X installer DVD, and what version is listed on the label?

What do you mean by '10.4.2 sound about right'? Are you guessing?
Don't you have the DVD? The OS X version is listed on the label, so what do you see there?
Macs don't have a BIOS, but do have firmware. Some Macs do have firmware updates available, but not your model iBook. Any other firmware update will refuse to install, so it's not possible to flash to something else.

As for the mighty mouse message, your installer is asking for a mouse to be available, and - you are right, the trackpad should be good enough. I suspect that you have:
A wrong version of OS X (too old - you need to verify that you have 10.4.2 or higher), or you have a faulty or damaged installer DVD, or
You don't have an original DVD, but a copy. If you can't provide the OS X version information from the label - maybe the label is inaccurate, eh?

You still haven't responded to this question: What color is your OS X installer DVD, and what version is listed on the label?

I said it sounded about right when I checked the year my Ibook was sold according to wikipedia and when 10.4.2 came out according to apple.

My version is 10.4 exactly.

So I guess it's too old and can't load the proper drivers for the track pad and Radeon video.

I was aware of the open firmware but I was not sure if you could flash it to a wrong machine or not.

Anyways for now Yellow Dog Linux is fine, I'll have to find a 10.4.2 disc.

10.4.2 PPC or later right?

Back