iBook Video question

kerisbf

geez o pete
Ok, I'm a little confused.

I'd like to buy an Apple iBook AV cable, or whatever they're called, to connect my iBook to my tv. I understand to do this, I need a composite video output. After digging around in the Help files, I found pictures of all these things, and the only jack that looks like the composite does is my headphone jack. Here is where my confusion lies: is my headphone jack a composite video output port??? From what I can find, it sounds like all iBooks are supposed to have these composite ports, but the only one like that I've got has the headphone symbol next to it.

I'm so confused!!!

-keris

Originally posted by kerisbf
Ok, I'm a little confused.

I'd like to buy an Apple iBook AV cable, or whatever they're called, to connect my iBook to my tv. I understand to do this, I need a composite video output. After digging around in the Help files, I found pictures of all these things, and the only jack that looks like the composite does is my headphone jack. Here is where my confusion lies: is my headphone jack a composite video output port??? From what I can find, it sounds like all iBooks are supposed to have these composite ports, but the only one like that I've got has the headphone symbol next to it.

I'm so confused!!!

-keris

Only the new white iBooks have composite outputs. If you have one of these, yes, the headphone output is also a composite output :)

Alright, I managed to find one and borrow it, but I can't get it to work!
The audio goes through, but not the video. The TV is just a blue screen.
I tried changing the resolution, but nothing happens. Any suggestions?

-keris

Hmm, you might have to set the display settings on your iBook to NTSC or PAL dependant on what your TV supports.

Make sure you are using a real Apple AV-Cable, as there are other AV cables for other devices floating around that look identical but will not work.
Make sure the plug is snugly fitted into the AV (headphone) socket.
In your monitor prefs, you should now see options for NTSC / PAL. You may need to set these to get it to work with your TV.

The video out doesn't go through the headphone jack. There's a separate adapter on the new iBook models that also functions with the VGA adapter. This proprietary video output port is adjacent to the headphone jack, and can be used with the VGA adapter or with the TV adapter. The TV adapter has S-video and RCA connections (I have it right in front of me).

Yes. To clarify, the current-shape iBooks can use both the headphone jack output or the rectangulish jack between the USB ports and the headphone jack (which also allows for VGA or S-Video connection). Older "clamshell" iBooks used the headphone jack adapter.

Alright. I've got the newest model. Just got it in August. The cord I'm using is an Apple cord, with the headphone looking hookup on one end, and the three colored hookups on the other end. Red, yellow, and white.

I can't get it to work by plugging it in my headphone jack, even after changing the NTSC/PAL settings in my Displays preference pane (OSX). Is there something that I'm probably not doing that I should be, such as restarting after changing settings or anything?

The way I read it in the Mac Help on my machine is that it should pop up on the TV right away. No restarting or settings changes. I'm thinking of just calling the Apple help line and asking them. I really want this to work!

-keris

OK, since it's the new model (without reset button) you need to buy one of the adapters that fits into the display port next to the headphone port.

Back