iCal and WebDAV on 10.2 Server

Sogni

*gone*
For the life of me I can't figure this one out...

Since we have a OSX 10.2 Server in the office, I decided to play with iCal and see about setting up internal calendars among other things I've been wanting to create for internal use only...

So iCal says it works with "any WebDAV server", I go to the server and enable Web Hosting, I go further in and enable WebDAV hosting.

iCal can NOT publish to the server (and simply says "Connot publish").

So I type in the URL enter a username and password. I've tried it for the root web host, and for a user's (/~user) website - no luck!

If I type in an address, the dialog box goes away (without any confirmation) but does not publish either.

Anyone have any ideas here?

A few things to note, that I have not done as of yet because we don't need to use internally are:

- DNS is not active (or if it is, it's not configured),

- the server's name to itself is "localhost" (while it actually has a name to the Windows boxes for Windows File sharing).

- It as well as everyone at the office is on a Private IP range behind a firewall.

Anyone know how to test if WebDAV is even enabled/working?

Have you enabled WebDAV for any special directories? I don't know how it works with 10.2 server, I always configured WebDAV directly inside the httpd.conf

You could try to connect to your WebDAV server with Finder -> Connect to Server and type
http://server_ip/pathToWebDAVDir/

I'd actually like to do the same thing, but on the client OS 10.2. I have Apache up and running, but have never configured WebDAV. I tried uncommenting the lines in the httpd.conf file, but then my Apache would not start, and complained about line containing the MaxRequestsPerChild parameter. I had it set to 10000, like suggested, and tried several other numbers and it still complained. So I'm not sure what I should do to get it up and running. I'd really like to serve up my ical off my own machine. Please let me know if you have figured out how to do this, and I would need to do.

Thanks in advance...

Before you go through the trouble of doing this it may be noteworthy to tell you that this will only serve the calendar so that people can subscribe to it... you still need ical to view them. Only other 10.2 users with iCal can view it in graphical format.

If you're still wanting to try it I can try to help you with it.

I see. That's not exactly what I was wanting. I understand now. WebDAV is just a means of storage for the ical. So I guess only mac.com can display them in HTML to anyone user in a browser then. This is what I was wanting to do, serve my ical schedule of my machine in HTML viewable format in any web browser. Now that I think about it, you're right, turning on WebDAV shouldn't enable this capability.

I guess what you would need is a .ics file interpreter to then display it in an HTML viewable format. It looks like mac.com uses WebObjects, but I don't have and don't plan to pay for WebObjects just to display my iCal off my own server. Those that do, might look into this. If anyone does know of an interpreter, or has much free time on their hands to write one, might let me know.

That's exacly what I'm wanting to do.. I never really thought about it just serving the .ics file until I got webdav working! I'm looking at trying to get this working somehow. I guess we'll see what happens :D

Well, if you open up one of the .ics files, you can clearly see a structure that could easily be parsed. It just takes time to write the code to do something with it and display it in some sort of friendly format.

Code:
[B]Example:[/B]
BEGIN:VEVENT
UID:DA55068C-C9D9-11D6-952F-003065C9C95C
DTSTAMP:20020916T041813Z
SUMMARY:GOING TO THE MOVIES
DTSTART;TZID=America/Indianapolis:20020916T090000
DTEND;TZID=America/Indianapolis:20020916T095000
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;UNTIL=20021125T045959;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=MO,FR
END:VEVENT

That's basically how every event is listed. This one states that I am going to the movies every week on Monday and Friday until 11/25/2002. Perhaps some weekend when I get bored and have nothing better to do. But I don't see that time coming anytime soon.

The format iCal saves its calendars is the VCALENDAR format.
It is widely used in the Unix world I think, and http://www.horde.org has some online calendar in PHP that can import and export the vCalendar format.

I already searched for some PHP scripts that can parse a vCalendar file and show it as a HTML calendar, but didn't find anything.

Regarding the problem of the thread starter:
I now tried t put a calndar on my sharemation server (Some free testserver that supports WebDAV). I can connect to that server via Finder or Photoshop without problems, but I cannot get the iCal upload to work.
I think the WebDAV upload of iCal maybe just buggy, and doesn't work at all...

I finally got it working on my local Apache server:

I had to give the user www write privilege to the folder that the file should be written to.
Look into your access_log and watch out for a line that looks like

PUT /pathToFile/CalendarName.ics number1 number2

if number1 is 403 it means the operation was forbidden, so the user www seems to have no write privilege to the directory.

Why it is not working for the sharemation server, I just don't know...

I guess you're right. I kind of wondered if it was a standard format or not, since Outlook would always try to open it but not exactly suceed. Anyway, here's some more info I found at whatis.com...

vCalendar is an industry standard format for exchanging scheduling and activity-recording information electronically. If someone sends you their week's schedule in a vCalendar attachment to an e-mail note, you can drag-and drop it (or otherwise move it) to a personal information manager (PIM) type of application program and integrate with or relate it to your own schedule. vCalendar was developed along with the vCard electronic business card specification.
Like vCard, vCalendar was developed by a consortium founded by Apple, AT&T, IBM, and Siemens. The specification was turned over to an industry group, the Internet Mail Consortium (IMC), in 1996. Like vCard, vCalendar requires that you have an application program that supports its use. In time, it's expected that most personal information manager programs on all computer software platforms will support vCard and vCalendar as a standard exchange format.

So apparently, Apple was one of the founders of this standard format afterall. Now it belongs to IMC as stated above.

I tried to get WebDAV running under OSX Server 10.2 but had problems. I checked all of the Enable WebDAV settings, etc. I was unable to connect via a browser or Goliath and iCal would not publish.

I tried WebDAV on an OS X Server 10.1.4 and was successful in getting the folder/file listing to display in a browser and in Goliath. I was still unable to publish iCal calendars. I copied an iCal (.ics) file to the server via the Finder and once it was there I was able to subscribe to it. Since this worked I thought the publish problem must be priv. settings. I set the group to "www" with R/W privs. but still can't get publish to work.

I am also interested in a way to view the calendars via a browser. I have a copy of WebObjects but have not used it and do not know what is involved to make it work.

Originally posted by wheels

I tried WebDAV on an OS X Server 10.1.4 and was successful in getting the folder/file listing to display in a browser and in Goliath. I was still unable to publish iCal calendars.
Please post the access_log of your Apache. (/var/log/httpd/access_log).
There you can see some errorcodes, maybe we can work out why it is not working.

Thanks, Andy! I now have WebDAV working on my OSX Server 10.2 but still can't get iCal to Publish there for soem reason (I have set the Privs., etc.).

I will check the sites you mentioned and hopefully be able to resolve the last few issues. If there is info about parsing/displaying the calendar in a browser --- that's great!

Thanks again!
:)

Back