iChat 2.1 Beta

mightyjlr said:
On the pc, the window is really small, and it is not that great of an experience. IS there a way to make it bigger?

There sure doesn't seem to be. I've been testing this with a friend for a few days now. The chat window size can be increased, but the 1"x1" postage stamp of a video window won't budge on the PC side.

My friend is 150 miles away, and on a different providers network - video and audio sync'd quite well - certainly better than a godzilla movie overdub. I ended up turning my cam on the computer to show him the big window I was watching him in - he was not pleased with his postage stamp, but it's just a beta.

iChat and AIM do work nicely together. I have a PC with AIM and can video chat with a Mac. On the PC, I can't see myself like on the Mac. Says no camera found. I've been playing with this with a friend, and on his PC, AIM says the same thing, no camera found, and the picture window is too small, but at least we can go cross platform now.

Some problems appeard here too. My previous test was in the same lan with a pc. Everything worked just fine. Now that I tested it with a far pc (over wan) I have some weird problems. The person in that network has a powerbook and a webcam too. ichatav to him works just fine. But when he turns to the pc, he gets a firewall error eventhough there is no firewall activated. We can both see that the other side has a cam, but the request fails. Remember: ichatav to ichatav works perfectly. And it seems impossible to just open a voice over ip connection to aol without video. But sending and receiving files works fine for me (form ichatav to ichatav and ichatav to aol 5.5).

Arden said:
What happens if you turn off your own firewall?
I have no firewall on, since my router has one. But I can't just turn that one off. At least I have no idea how to do. ;) Instead, I opened some UDP and TCP ports that are supposed to not be blocked for ichatav. Anyway, the funny thing for me is, that in the same network environment, the ichatav to ichatav communication works fine, but the ichatav to aol 5.5 fails.. :(
Filetransfer always works fine.

You'd have to log into your router to turn off the firewall features. Read the manual for the IP address to connect to if you want to do this.

I did it different:
I have a dsl modem which got an uplink connection to the router. I took out the router and connected my mac directly to the dsl modem. Works perfectly now. but I am no more wireless... ;)
And I think the problem doesn't lie on the firewall. I opened all the needed UDP and TCP port. Even more then I was supposed to open (from 500 - 20000) but still nada... I read pretty often, there is some problem with routing systems ichat still has to overcome. Let's hope iChatAV 2.2 will do..

Yep, one of the requirements for video chatting in iChat is a 600 Mhz or faster computer and a broadband connection. No matter how good your camera is, iChat needs a fat pipe for a good picture.

I just don't get it. What should work between iChat and AIM? And how do you get it to work?

My Mac:
Quicksilver 733, iSight, ethernet hub (not a router), firewall: Netbarrier - setting "Client, local server", iChat AV (Beta) 2.1.

I can do a text, audio or video chat with my friend who also owns a Mac and uses iChat AV. No problem. Just one tip: Use headphones and the quality of audio and video improves significantly.

What I want to do:
Audio chat with another friend who owns a PC, Windows ME, AIM 5.5, firewall: Netbarrier - setting "Client, local server", ethernet to cable modem (no router, no hub).

Now why doesn't this work?????!!! Why can I do an audio iChat with another Mac but audio chat with a PC with AIM doesn't work? If my firewall settings were the problem, wouldn't they also be a problem with my Mac to Mac chat? I also turned off both firewalls, the one on the PC and the one on the Mac. Didn't make any difference. One thought I have is that the Windows version may matter because AIM.com states "Video IM requires Window XP". So this may be also the requirement for audio IM, I suppose. Now, you guys who were able to audio chat with PC owners, do they have XP or another version? Or do you have any other thoughts and advice?

I think if you check the specs for AIM 5.5, it requires WindowsXP for video chats. It does work very well with PC's using WindowsXP.

Yes it does work with the Darkside, Bout time we can tease all the Darksiders with great isight quality.... only thing the last isight update that came out wiped my buddy list out... anyone else have that issue?

nope, that didn't happen to me, but I turned iChat off when I updated the camera I think.

Viktor

What's going on with ichat av? For some reason 10.3.3 downgraded me back to 2.0. I'm having to download the beta from Apple again kind of weird.

Ever since 10.3.2, I have been utterly inable to get Any signs of life from iChat. Even with 10.3.3, iChat dosen't even pretend to try to start when double clicked, eventhough I trashed the preferences.

Not that I'm crazy about it, but how do I make it Go?

Is it something to do with the AV? The location (although I moved it back without success.

I appreciate your feedback.

Back