iChat (AV or not) with NAT?

rharder

Do not read this sign.
1. Can anyone confirm whether or not iChat AV works when you're behind a Network Address Translation (NAT)-style router?

2. Can you tell which ports need to be forwarded if not?

3. How 'bout for transferring files via iChat: Has anyone ever figured out how to get that to work port-wise?

I can't believe there's not a KnowledgeBase article about how to do that...

I should probably add this: Is it known whether both parties have to have port-forwarding on for either regular file transfers or the AV capabilities?

I've never been able to transfer files to my brother who uses AIM, even when I forward port 5190 (which I thought was right) to my computer.

-Rob

The answer above concerns firewalls, not NAT. I've been using iChat AV (AIM) with file transfer, audio chat and video chat through my AirPort, without any port forwarding. Works like a charm (really).

If you don't want to use AIM, but Rendezvous instead, you need to set up a VPN. I'd wait a while if I were you, since there will be a VPN solution built in in OS X 10.3 Server (10.3 client will have the client to connect to a VPN served by OS X 10.3 Server).

Firewalls. NATs. Depending on your setup, one or the other is the evil monster/daring hero. Oh well.

In general too I just wish there was a more elegant solution to NAT port forwarding than using fixed IP addresses adn whatnot.

-Rob

Back