Idea for Apple: Software upgrade program.

speedfreak

Registered
I was just thinking .... Wouldn't it be nice to pay a one time fee for software updates from Apple. Like a 5 or 10 year liscence which would get you all the OS updates/upgrades, and all the iApps/including new ones. This could be a huge ammount of cash now for Apple to use on software development. It would take the hassle out of having to buy upgrades all the time. It would show interest and commitment from Apple owners to future Apple software.
In the last two years I have spent about $350 on Apple software. Most of it on Jag and Panther. I know they are going to hit us up again, it is just a matter of time. I would love to get the new speedy iPhoto but do not really need garageband. Yes I will probably buy it just for the iPhoto update, as I have 5000+ photos and my current version is really slow.
How much would you pay for such a program? For 5 years? For 10 years? Dont forget when you buy a new machine you get all the latest bundled with it. This factor will depend greatly on how often you buy new macs.
Anothe thing to think of is would you get a single liscence or 5 user to cover all your macs.

I have a few numbers in mind. I'll see what the response is before putting my figures up.

Why not, but on a yearly basis. It was possible earlier with the ADC. Something like $150/year, if I remember correctly, to have the latest OS and tools.

I like that you can get stuff for free. You do pay more for a Mac so the updates are good. You can even get the new iPhoto via software update. Besides look at how many whiners came out of the woodwork to bitch about Life '04, which was one heck of a bargain.

I assume that Apple wants you to buy a new Mac every two-three years. And, of course one would get new software with the purchase. I like the idea with some pro apps, for example Photoshop, etc.

Randman said:
I like that you can get stuff for free. You do pay more for a Mac so the updates are good. You can even get the new iPhoto via software update. Besides look at how many whiners came out of the woodwork to bitch about Life '04, which was one heck of a bargain.

do I understand you got the new iPhoto via SW update ? I didn't.

Back