Ideas for Appz!

mmmdreg

Registered
I'm in year 11 and need ideas for my "major" project in software design. It's my first year doing it so don't be too tough. Most likely it will be done in VB although cocoa/objc is a vague option. Please post ideas that you think are the type of appz that will be useful in society (at school or in a business etc.?). Anyhow, I hope you all got great imaginations...

Maybe not a very common request, but I need a very simple app (preferably with a background daemon) that triggers an action (plays a sound, runs an applescript, etc) when sound is detected on the sound input. A sensitivity control would be a plus :)

Here's one: Make I nice "OSX-ish" IRC chat client! We don't have any really nice ones at the moment :(

A new Graphic Calculator would be nice and fun to develop, I'm sure

Hey I'm in the same boat you are. I've done alot of projects before but I want to do something to get my name out there. So if anyone has some really awesome ideas, or even just little ones, that would be great. Post em when you think of them.

~Ryan

Originally posted by rdurkin
Hey I'm in the same boat you are. I've done alot of projects before but I want to do something to get my name out there. So if anyone has some really awesome ideas, or even just little ones, that would be great. Post em when you think of them.

~Ryan

What's your level of experience ?

how about a simple web browser.... i love small ones with barely any features... htey seem lighter, and in a business, how often do you use all the features (besides bookmarks....)? Spell check... if i make an error, usually i spot it and fix it..... Spiffy appearance???? nah, i just like a simple aqua or brushed metal look..

I kno! make something like the old textedit.... even better, like notepad! something to just type on! Include saving, and maybe include fonts and color and style...

Originally posted by chevy
What's your level of experience ?

Hey,

I'm a cal poly student trying to make a name for myself and basically show the world why mac's are so cool. I've been doing simple program development (like class projects) for over a year in java. I've worked with teams on a large tutoring program for my software engineering class, and right now I'm managing a project that we will deliver to our sponsoring company. All the above mention projects were in Java also. I'm also doing an individual software design/imp class where I learned c++ in 3 weeks and have the task to design and implement a chess and othello board program, including the AI stuff for the computer to play a human player. It's intense but a lot of fun.

Once all this chess stuff is done, I'm devoting the summer to actually writing cocoa and objective c stuff. I want to try and wow everyone with some cool project, but apply has been pretty smart about covering most of the bases. So if anyone can think of anything let me know PLEASE.

Is there any developer software that could be helpful? Buildtools, source editors, etc.

Or if there is any personal software that you think would really benifet the greater apple community, this is where you should send your ideas.

Thanks,
~Ryan

Originally posted by Androo
how about a simple web browser.... i love small ones with barely any features... htey seem lighter, and in a business, how often do you use all the features (besides bookmarks....)? Spell check... if i make an error, usually i spot it and fix it..... Spiffy appearance???? nah, i just like a simple aqua or brushed metal look..

I kno! make something like the old textedit.... even better, like notepad! something to just type on! Include saving, and maybe include fonts and color and style...

Sure sounds hard for a novice to do. Imagine the work that must go into creating a web browser that displays pages correctly. I guess you could make a web browser that just lets you download text or something simple like that.

Originally posted by rdurkin
Hey,

I'm a cal poly student trying to make a name for myself and basically show the world why mac's are so cool. I've been doing simple program development (like class projects) for over a year in java. I've worked with teams on a large tutoring program for my software engineering class, and right now I'm managing a project that we will deliver to our sponsoring company. All the above mention projects were in Java also. I'm also doing an individual software design/imp class where I learned c++ in 3 weeks and have the task to design and implement a chess and othello board program, including the AI stuff for the computer to play a human player. It's intense but a lot of fun.

Once all this chess stuff is done, I'm devoting the summer to actually writing cocoa and objective c stuff. I want to try and wow everyone with some cool project, but apply has been pretty smart about covering most of the bases. So if anyone can think of anything let me know PLEASE.

Is there any developer software that could be helpful? Buildtools, source editors, etc.

Or if there is any personal software that you think would really benifet the greater apple community, this is where you should send your ideas.

Thanks,
~Ryan

A GO game with AI is missing on the Mac.

Here is what I want, although I am sure it is to hard for you guys.

You know the app Audio Hijack? It lets your rip the audio from ANY cocoa app. Including streams and the DVD player. I would like that app for video. Lets you rip the video and sound from any cocoa App. If you could make that I would pay you big bucks!

Matthew

a simple program that can take voice mail messages and covert them into dbf, cvs format

Originally posted by Inline_guy
Here is what I want, although I am sure it is to hard for you guys.

You know the app Audio Hijack? It lets your rip the audio from ANY cocoa app. Including streams and the DVD player. I would like that app for video. Lets you rip the video and sound from any cocoa App. If you could make that I would pay you big bucks!

Matthew

It's called Snapz Pro ;)

Heres a killer idea,

A aplication simular to Messnger Plus for Windoze, that gives u Away Messages, Boss Protection ( auto hide etc). This would work well on Yahoo Messenger as well. I would be a great, i know lots of people that would kill for it.

Snap Pro can not rip the video in full screen mode at 30fps on my computer. I have tried. It just beach balls.

Thanks though.

Matthew

Back