iMac G5 gets hot, goes to sleep

Macartist

Registered
My iMac G5/1.6/17'' works for 25 minutes then goes into immediate HD sleep. I can wake it for a second or 2 at a time, takes 4 tries to shut it off. I ran the test disc and it gave me an error code for the logic board. I did a lot of research online, would have to pay Apple $60 for them to tell me I need a new logic board. I called an Apple tech store and they said $500-$800 for a new one and it sounds like that's what's needed. I downloaded a marvelous temp gauge ( called Hardware Monitor) and it climbed from 55˚C to 69˚C in 9 minutes with me NOT using the computer.Processor usage was 3%. The temp just kept slowly climbing until , with the screensaver on, it dropped into sudden HD sleep at 86.2 ˚C.after 1 1/2 hours. only 1/2 if being used.

Is there anything I can do to get this fixed without having to get a new logic board? Does knowing it's the temp that's shutting it down help at all?

It doesn't display the problems listed for Apple extended repair, although it did flash black and white bars once and it flashes a black screen when starting up.And the serial # falls in that category.

I learned that this is a MAJOR problem with G5s so if you have one get Hardware Monitor absolutely! My computer never felt hot so i never suspected that.

I live 100 miles from a repair store , would have to ship the computer, and it was bought new 13 months ago. Can anyone help? Thanks

Hi there,

Iam sorry for your problem.

But i think this is a problem with a faulty CPU cooler, try to take the imac appart and take off the cpu cooler and clean it with a soft cloth and put new cooler paste on it.

And check if your ventilators are not dusty.

Hope this helps.

greets,

Jeff

I know that there was a repair program that Apple had for the older iMac G5 computers but I don't know if it was for this specific problem. Here's the link to it:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

Search for your serial number there. If it's on there, then you're affected and you might be able to have it repaired for free. I hope they are still honoring this.

Thanks, Jeff and nixgeek- I checked the repair program and my serial # qualifies- but I don't have the right problem! I have power, at least for now, and video. I know I must take it in eventually before it is destroyed. But what, and where is the CPU cooler? I took the back off and it was pretty clean but wiped it out anyway. The fans were clean. I'd like to try alternatives before I have to drive half a day to take it in.

Thanks, Jeff and nixgeek- I checked the repair program and my serial # qualifies- but I don't have the right problem! I have power, at least for now, and video. I know I must take it in eventually before it is destroyed. But what, and where is the CPU cooler? I took the back off and it was pretty clean but wiped it out anyway. The fans were clean. I'd like to try alternatives before I have to drive half a day to take it in.

Regardless, contact them. Thety don't have to know the specifics....just that your iMac G5 is in the recall list and that you need to send it in. They will most likely replace the logic board and anything else that "might" have been affected by the recall issue (possibly your fan and overheating problem). ;)

If he has no warrenty anymore and a new logicboard is 500,- dollars, why couldnt he try to fix the problem himself?

Its verry easy to take a imac appart and clean the fan + remove and clean the cpu cooler.

This problem is the cpu cooler its gets to Hot and for safety the imac shuts it self down for overburning.

MacArtist Do you know someone who is good whit computers? You need to take the imac appart to get to the CPU, try to find someone with the layout specs maybe on the apple site.

OK, so if this isn't necessarily the problem, what if it's attributed to it somehow? Or what if it happens exactly as mentioned in the website after that? Might as well have it sent in now, especially since they cover three years after date of purchase. See below from the Apple page I linked above:
How long is the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program available?
The program covers affected iMac G5 computers for up to three years from the original date of purchase. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed.

....also....

Is there a cost for participating in the iMac G5 Repair Extension Program for Video and Power Issues?
If Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) determines that your iMac G5 computer is eligible as part of the program, the repair will be covered by Apple even if your iMac G5 is out of warranty. Customers are responsible for transportation costs to eligible ASPs/retail stores.

It's still worth a try, especially since it falls under the recall list. Better to have tried and had it resolved at little to no cost than to let it linger and have it fail anyway. Or worse, have someone else that's not authorized tinker wiht it and make matters worse. if Apple takes care of it, he'll get a working logic board plus working CPU and assorted fans/accessories.

Thanks guys for helping me out. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to feel comfortable messing around in such a detailed environment as the computer....even though it's supposed to be designed so that people can fix their own. (So I read). I thought I was a hero when I added more memory to my Performa!

I bit the bullet and called the store and I can send my computer in by bus and they will call me, do or not do whatever, and send it back. http://macosx.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gifBut I will take it in when the weather's better here. They agreed to look at it while I'm there to let me know the problem , then send for the parts to Apple, and it's THOSE guys who determine if it qualifies for free repair. I note you are in Florida and The Netherlands- I'm in a snowy part of Canada, pretty icy here for a few weeks more!

I have another question about this for you-

in the meantime I use the CPU temp gauge I downloaded to shut down at 80˚C ( upper limit 85˚C they say) while I still have control. But am I in danger of causing more harm to the computer? I don't want to fry something else.

If didn't have the info I do have now, and kept going as is- would the computer eventually not turn on? In other words, have no power?
Thanks, hope this helps somebody else along the way,
Macartist

Update
For the information of others who read this post- it was indeed repaired and a new logic board and power supply put in ($1000) absolutely free. Now I'm happy- I love this machine!
Nixgeek has it correct- and now I have a 3 month warranty.
If you just take into any Apple sales/repair store- they know all about it.

Update
For the information of others who read this post- it was indeed repaired and a new logic board and power supply put in ($1000) absolutely free. Now I'm happy- I love this machine!
Nixgeek has it correct- and now I have a 3 month warranty.
If you just take into any Apple sales/repair store- they know all about it.

If I were you I would seriously consider AppleCare for that machine.

MIGOSH! The repair man advised me to sell it after the 3 months is up and get a new (Intell) Mac! And now you're both implying future woes. What do you know that I don't?
I want to keep this machine for 10 years- maybe 20 . I don't want to lose my OS 9 capability.And this is more than I need to puddle along.
I never had ANY problems with my former Macs from Mac Plus to G3 lime The Snow G3 600 died, I admit. What has happened to Apple?
Seriously- specifically , are there other weaknesses with this model? If they don't show up in 3 years I'll be safe?

I just bought a first-gen G5 iMac from a friend that has had its logic board replaced three times and has been in for service a total of five times.

That being said, so far this machine has been flawless, fast, and nearly perfect in every way (I'm going to max out the ram and upgrade to a DVD burner). It still has two years of Apple care left on it so I'm less than worried about any future failures.

At his point most people have told me that there's an unwritten "three strikes" rule in that if you've had the machine in for the same failure three times that the next time you can request an exchange for another machine of the same type. I know of two who have had this happen and have had it taken care of without hassle. That's not to say everyone will be taken care of in the same way, but I'd have no qualms about using and enjoying the machine.

I sure hope I don't have those problems! I'd have to pay $35 each way just to ship it on the bus each time! let alone be without a computer for weeks!

Anyway, this machine was bought brand new Jan 2006 and 14 months later it failed. There was no Apple care. I now have a 3 month warranty for the repair- but I don't think I qualify for Apple Care after one year of its purchase. Right?

The Extended Repair Program is good for 3 years from purchase date- does anyone know if you can use it again?

Back