imac is running so slow lately, new to macs and need help please

heartstar7703

Registered
Hello,

I have had my imac for about a year now (bought it used) In the last few weeks it began to run slower and slower. The rainbow wheel spins and spins when on the internet, my kodak and other photo editing software run slow, it's now at a slow crawl compared to when I first got it. I googled common fixes to my problem and I have fixed the permissions on the disk utility, I have reset Safari, and I have emptied my trash. None of these fixes have sped it up. This is my first mac and I am very unknowledgeable on what to do when a mac has issues. Can someone please help me? This is my business computer and I really need it to function right!! Thank you so much!!

specs:
imac 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo
2 gb ram
232 gb hard drive space
181 gb free hard drive space

Also, I have a copy of snow leopard waiting to be installed, but someone told me not to install it since I am running Tiger and Snow Leopard won't work. Can someone please clarify if I can or should install Snow Leopard. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!!

First run some cache clearing maintenance using the Tiger(1-0.4.x) version of Yasu or Onyx. Let the program cleaning all the cache files and let the program reboot your Mac.

Then try to Reset Your PRAM to see if that helps.

Lastly to fresh install Snow Leopard just follow this link. Just make sure you backup your pictures/music, pictures, email, etc. I say this because to do the fresh install you will have to wipe the drive first.

Good Luck.

First run some cache clearing maintenance using the Tiger(1-0.4.x) version of Yasu or Onyx. Let the program cleaning all the cache files and let the program reboot your Mac.

Then try to Reset Your PRAM to see if that helps.

Lastly to fresh install Snow Leopard just follow this link. Just make sure you backup your pictures/music, pictures, email, etc. I say this because to do the fresh install you will have to wipe the drive first.

Good Luck.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I have done both things you suggested above (have not installed snow leopard yet). It still is rebooting slooow and running slooow. Rainbow wheel almost everytime I click on something or try and type something. I know macs are less susceptible to viruses, but could this be the cause of the slowness? I am stumped.

Have you tried what I suggest or just ignored me?

No, I have not ignored you. I did try what you suggested and it did not help. I posted a reply to your post but it said it had to be moderated before it was posted, and I see it hasn't been posted yet. I dont even know if this one will go through.

So a fresh in stall still has the symptoms? If so start thinking it might be the hard drive or bad RAM.

So a fresh in stall still has the symptoms? If so start thinking it might be the hard drive or bad RAM.

No, I did both things you suggested (besides installing snow leopard) I was told by some people that because I'm going from tiger to snow leopard it won't work because I needed to upgrade to the os that came before snow leopard first. Is this true? Do you think installing the snow leopard would work when I'm coming from tiger and would it make these problems go away?

Snow leopard will work from Tiger. I just upgraded from Tiger to Snow Leopard and it worked perfectly. Just make sure to follow the guide the other person posted.

Back