iMac not doing DNS lookup

Boydle.mac

Registered
Hey, I am in halls at university and we have to use Ask4 internet as our service provider. I have my windows laptop setup with this internet but my iMac won't connect.

Well, actually, technically it will and does. But you have to type in the IP adress for any website you go on as when you type in an adress it does not do a DNS lookup for that web adress. Also, Ask4 use a dynamic IP adress and the mac uses their IP adress for about 10 minutes but then after that the mac goes to a 192. adress - therefore says it isn't connected anymore.

I'm running 10.5.8 and the iMac isn't even a year old.
Any help will be very appreciated! :).

Do the routers they've installed provide DHCP and DNS resolution? Or do you need a static IP address configured on your Mac? And if so, do you have your Mac "pointed" to their DNS server?

It's cable, so you just plug an ethernet cable from the back of the mac into a socket in the wall. They asked me to make sure it was using DHCP automatic, and they assign a dynamic IP. I'm not sure what you mean pointed to their server? Basically it's meant to do it automatically but for some reason the mac is refusing.

Sorry, i'm not bad on computers but my networking isn't great.

Your iMac should have a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address all the time. That means that it is successfully a member of a DHCP pool that the router is handing out.

Your DNS server should be the router itself -- if you're getting an IP address of, for example, 192.168.1.100, then more than likely, the router (and, hence, your DNS server) should be 192.168.1.1.

If you're getting 192.168.0.100, then the router may be 192.168.0.1.

OpenDNS may also be an option, as Scoops said, if you can't get your ISP's DNS resolving correctly.

Ok, im trying that now.
Any idea why it switches the IP adress from a 10. to a 192. adress after 10 minutes?

EDIT: Thats what I thought, but according to the tech help at Ask4 they use 10. IP adresses (which is what it first is when I turn it on).

Thanks so far guys :)

Back