"Impossible to open Itunes with this version of Mac OS X"

Aenima

Registered
ok... I got the weirdest thing happening: I have no idea what I have done with my powerbook, but I haven't been able to launch Itunes lately... I get the "impossible to open Itunes with this version of MAC OS X" message when I try.

What is that supposed to mean? It worked perfectly until today, I haven't uploaded a new version of Itunes, or any updates for OS X. I tried of course to get rid of itunes, and dowload it again, but it doesn't seem to do any good... Any ideas on what might be happening, or how to solve the problem?

Well, for starters, what version of OS X are you using?
(Apple Icon → About This Mac)

Apple Icon -> About This Mac just says "OS X" and there's the serial number

And I think I have the latest version of Itunes...

Maybe I have a hint on what happened: I dowloaded a homemade mp3 from a frend's server, and when the dowload ends, a "droplet" window opens... I think it's the last thing I did before itunes started malfunctionning. Now I don't know what is Droplet for, or what I did exactly, but maybe it has something to do with the problem...

the serial number, does it resemble something like 10.4.7, or 10.3.5, or 10.0.1?

that's the version of mac os.

nope, it's a regular serial, with letters and numbers... I know I have one of the latest version of OS X, but can't remember which one...

There is *no* serial number associated with Mac OS X. Here's an attachment of what About This Mac shows on my machine.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    449.8 KB · Views: 13
nope, it's a regular serial, with letters and numbers... I know I have one of the latest version of OS X, but can't remember which one...

If you click on that Serial number line, the line will change to Version, Build, then Serial number again. The line changes each time you click on it.

If, OTOH, the line does not change (the default should be Version), then click on More Info... - Then when the System Profiler opens, click on Software, and you will see your OS X version there...
And latest version should be 10.4.8 - and iTunes 7.0.1 would be current version for that.

But - what's a droplet doing in an MP3 file?

Well, you have the right version of OS X. Try creating a new account on your computer, if it works on that account, then you've got a corrupted library.

Well, you have the right version of OS X. Try creating a new account on your computer, if it works on that account, then you've got a corrupted library.

eric2006, you saw the post provided by viro as a sample, not the original posters version. - But, you're probably correct about the library/preferences.

eric2006, you saw the post provided by viro as a sample, not the original posters version

Oh.. right. Still, create a new account, and try it on that one, this will show us if there is something wrong with your iTunes settings.

You need at least 10.3.9 to run iTunes. If you have 10.3, download all the updates.

If "About this Mac looks like this: (minus system specs)
104hu4.png

or this: (except 10.3.9 instead of 10.3)
aboutthismacpantherqd0.jpg

then you have the correct version. If it looks like this:
osx102screenoe1.jpg

(or anything else) then you have the incorrect version of OS X.

From what I read it looks like the About this Mac shows the Mac's serial number directly and does _not_ show the version number. Which'd mean that this window can't _get_ the version number from the system, which would also explain why iTunes refuses to start and gives such a message. Might mean that some file is missing (the one which has the version number information, I don't remember where it usually lies at the moment...) or that your user hasn't got permission to read it (which could be solved by repairing permissions).

So... -> Go ahead, boot from the installation DVD/CD and go into Disk Utility. There repair your system volume and repair that volume's permissions as well. Then reboot into your normal system and see whether that helped.

First of all, thanx a lot for all your answers!

Ok, I have tried to create another account, still not working.

Here's what my "about this mac" looks like (french version):

The "more info" button doesn't give me other infos about the version I have, and my OS is fully updated...

I still have to try fryke's solution, if I can put my hand on the DVD...

Now, there's something else that doesn't work anymore, and it just might be related:
The little image viewer soft (dunno how it's called in english, it's "aperçu" in french), seem to have disappeared... no error message, just not there anymore! (and all my jpg are now automatically opened with illustrator)

(ps for Deltamac :I have no idea of what a droplet is, so don't ask me what it was doing in a mp3 :p)

ok, that solution worked! I re installed osx and now everything's fine again, and the "about this mac" shows the version, too.

thanx for the help!

Back