Insomniac computer won't fall asleep.

Travis86

Registered
I have a Dual 1.8Ghz G5 running 1.4.11. It is set to fall asleep after an hour, but lately I've noticed it doesn't. To test this, I set the monitor to fall asleep after 1 minute and the computer to fall asleep after 2 minutes. I waited, the monitor fell asleep, but the computer never did. I unplugged my USB mouse and the USB connection to my UPS, and tried again with the same result. I moved com.apple.PowerManagement.plist to the Desktop and restarted, but that didn't help, either.

Why won't my computer fall asleep?

Remove all USB hubs and all other USB devices than mouse or keyboard.
Try to put it sleep with other methods too, e.g. from apple menu.
When it should sleep and it doesn't, open Console application (in Utilities) and see what it tells that is happening or is disturbing its sleep.

Remove all USB hubs and all other USB devices than mouse or keyboard.
Try to put it sleep with other methods too, e.g. from apple menu.
When it should sleep and it doesn't, open Console application (in Utilities) and see what it tells that is happening or is disturbing its sleep.

I guess I should've pointed out that my computer will fall asleep when I select  > Sleep or press the power button.

However, I unplugged all of my USB stuff and looked at the Console. The computer didn't fall asleep, and there weren't any messages. The monitor did fall asleep, though.

Now what?

Do you have 'wake for administrative access' or something similar set? (system preferences, energy saver)

No applications preventing sleep? Quicktime, VLC, Caffeine..?
When it's on for past the time it should have fallen asleep and you return to the computer, what do you see in Console? There has to be some messages there.

Back