installing macosx

ziomatrixacs

Registered
hey guys, i got an ibook g4 and im thinking about getting this hard drive for it. Im switching out the hard drives so i can get rid of the computer with out worrying having to worry about a hacker bringing my old info back up.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST9160821A/

its a 2.5" 9.5mm and looks to be the same one as this but about $30 cheaper

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/160-GB-5400-RPM-Seagate-ATA-Hard-Drive-New/IF107-046

i was wondering if they would work in my computer and if i have to buy another copy of OSX since its a blank HD. I know i have to make it the same format through disc utility, but i was wondering if i could just use the stock osx disc to install it. would i need a serial number or something?

thanks!

Do you have super-secret Pentagon-security-level secrets stored on your hard drive? Did you write you name, address, credit card number, and security code in a text document and store that on your hard drive? Do you frequently email your social security number to various people?

What is the huge concern about the data on your hard drive? Hackers don't care about your vacation photos or your college thesis in Word format. They don't care about your phone number. They don't care about some lingerie pictures of your girlfriend in iPhoto. Unless you're storing some kind of super-sensitive information on your hard drive that would cause you considerable harm if it fell into the wrong hands, my suggestion would be to simply back up the data, then format the hard drive and install a fresh copy of OS X from the original install/restore CDs/DVDs that came with the iBook before selling.

Yes, that hard drive will work with your computer. And yes, simply boot from the CD/DVD that came with the iBook and install a fresh copy of OS X -- no serial number needed. But that's one more step than really needs to be done -- if you're purchasing a brand-new hard drive and are going through the pain of installing it in an iBook G4, then in my opinion, you're going too far in trying to sell the iBook... unless you worked for the FBI or CIA and used your iBook as your work computer. Just format the existing drive and install a fresh copy of OS X... that's good enough for resale.

My own first question is: Do you know how challenging it is to replace a hard drive on an iBook? and, you're replacing it because you don't want to wipe the old drive yourself? You can even choose the option to write zeros to the disk multiple times. It's hard on the drive to do that, but it does give you government-level wipe of the drive. It just takes a really long time to do.
But, erasing, and then restoring the original system from your original disks that you would then provide to the buyer - will leave you with a hard drive that is so unlikely to have old data recovered.....even for a super-paranoid dude, eh?

Well, then avoid selling your iBook to a CIA field agent, and you shouldn't have any problem at all.. :D

haha, i have enough info on here to be a victim of identity theft, i just want to keep the HD to be 100% sure. Sorry, no top secret data here! So i just popthe disc in and hit install pretty much right? after formatting and stuff..

thanks!

Back