Installing MS Office v.X upgrade on OS X only Mac

turn2

Registered
I am considering getting a new Mac to ease the burden on my aging G3. Since many of the new models are OS X only, I have some puzzles about how to install some of my software (or IF I can). Specifically, how will I be able to install Office v.X that is an upgrade from a classic-only version of Excel?

Are there any other potential snafus that could arise in making this move? I do plan to keep the G3 for some classic-only apps.

You should be able to install via Classic. Classic will still operate, the systems just no longer have the ability to fully boot OS 9.

I ran Office 2001 in Classic mode in OS X for over a year before upgrading to Office X. It worked fine, although it took longer to load the application. You don't _need_ to upgrade. Office .X sure is pretty, though.

Doug

Just to clarify, I already have the v.X upgrade on the G3. I just want to be sure it can be installed on an "OS X only" machine.

Maybe I'm not understanding what is meant by OS X only. Does this mean that the machine will still run classic, but not boot up in OS 9 as the default???

Originally posted by turn2
Maybe I'm not understanding what is meant by OS X only. Does this mean that the machine will still run classic, but not boot up in OS 9 as the default???

Yes. The new machine will run Classic, but will not be able to boot into 9. You can run Classic all day long, but can't go into the Startup Disk PrefPane and select your OS 9 System Folder as your startup OS.

turn2 - to answer your question, Office v.X upgrade requires proof of an eligible prior Office install. Options are:

1 - point the installer app to an Office installation such as HD:Applications(OS9):MicrosoftOffice2001. This will also work with a HD mounted over AppleFileProtocol.

2 - Insert the MS Office 2001 CD to verify the upgrade. It seems weird, but you can remove the v.X CD and insert the Office 2001 CD right in the middle of installing off of a CD.

Best of luck.

Back