Intel Mini won't play sound out

ShotgunSaint

Registered
Help! I have an Intel Mini Core Solo, and I'm having an ongoing sound issue. Basically, when it's been shut down or asleep for several hours and I boot it up, it works fine. However, after an hour or so, my external speakers go out (I've tried with my headphones and through my stereo, to no avail). I've been through troubleshooting, making sure the line out is selected in System Prefrences, etc., and also an archive and install. I took it to Apple for repairs last week, where they replaced the logic board. This did NOT solve my problem, although it DID leave me without a computer for a week and a half.

Does anyone know what this could be? What kind of hardware issue or otherwise could be causing this? I'm about ready to get my money back and spend that $600 building a Linux machine. At least then I could fix it myself. Also, are there any other minis having this problem, or am I the only one??

Have you performed any of the updates through Software Update? I know there were some recent firmware updates for the Intel Macs.

And as much as I do love Linux, ALSA can be a pain in the arse sometimes with some hardware. ;)

Some people report that launching GarageBand restores their sound -- strange, I know, but it's worth a shot.

If you'd rather have a Linux box, by all means, get rid of your mini and get a Linux box.

Let's see... I haven't done much troubleshooting on it since I picked it up from repair. I updated the firmware right before it went into the shop though.
I did know about the Garageband fix, but I haven't tried since I got it back. I'll try when I get home from work, along with updating the firmware, but I found some people with similar issues with the Core Solo Mini that were fixed by a simple bad contact leading to the logic board.
However, I fear that despite the shadiness of the hardware, Apple's not going to let me return it or issue a replacement. Hopefully, however, they can fix it in a day or so, since it's just a bad contact.
thanks for the help,
Aeryn

You might want to print out that informnation and take it along with the mini to the Apple Store. Let them know that you suspect this and would like to have it repaired, especially if it's still under warranty.

I did. Apparently, the audio board was bad. I don't know why they wouldn't have suspected this in the first place, but hey. All the work was free, and they even threw in a complimentary data backup.

Some people report that launching GarageBand restores their sound -- strange, I know, but it's worth a shot.

If you'd rather have a Linux box, by all means, get rid of your mini and get a Linux box.

Dude, thanks for that. Fixed my problem right up. I thought Macs were supposed to make sense.

Back