Internal HD issues

firehire

Registered
Well, I used search but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I am running a MacPro and I have a Seagate 7200.11 HD in one of my bays that basically just took a dump with all of my music and movies. It was a HD used for their storage and TM back-ups.

I got the error message yesterday morning that TM couldn't do a back-up. The HD icon was on the desktop, but it would open. I tried DU and it wouldn't unmount the disc. I tried DW, and it couldn't get it to unmount either.

Well shortly after that, the HD icon disappeared from the desktop and from the DU screen. I then proceeded to remove the HD from the computer, thinking that I was SOL.

I let it cool off and plugged it back in and I could hear it spin up and the icon showed back up and I was able to get into it and could see the folders that I needed to recover.

Well, just about that time, the folders disappeared and the HD would not unmount again.

Is this a logic board problem, or would "Freezing it" help?

Before you give me grief about not backing up my files, I was running the Backup program from MobileMe and putting the music/movie files onto my WD external 1TB HD. My mistake was when I set up the program to back up my files, I still had the path going to my 500MB HD. I forgot to change the path to my Seagate when I moved all of my music/movies to that HD.

Thanks for any assistance that you may provide.

11 months old and no reply's... I was gong to say placing a fan on the drive or setting the drive on ice (protected) is a better way to keep it cool if it's a over-heating issue). sb

11 months old and no reply's... I was gong to say placing a fan on the drive or setting the drive on ice (protected) is a better way to keep it cool if it's a over-heating issue). sb

What do you mean 11 months? It was posted 2 days ago. I've read the freeze drive method works but literally only until the drive heats up again which is usually a matter of minutes, and if you need to get alot of data or make a compete image, that's not nearly enough time. But if you feel that you have nothing to loose, and don't have any plans of pursuing professional recovery, then go for it. I've had some luck with the drive removed and a fan on it, but it doesn't work miracles.

Come on djackmac, he might have asked this question 11 months ago somewhere else and nobody has ever replied. But your thanks button doesn't seem to be a link. Is there any problem?

Back