Internet Explorer Crashing and I've Only Just Reformatted?!

MissyC

Registered
I've just been loading all my software back onto my mac after a reformat. Internet Explorer keeps freezing, I can move the mouse, but that's it. I can't even bring up the force quit screen using the keyboard, and even clicking on the desktop doesn't let me go to the finder, it's just stuck in Internet Explorer.

It's the first time I've reformatted my mac, so I'm a bit worried that I didn't do it properly? Any suggestions? I never had this problem before! (Incidently I don't use Internet Explorer, I was just attempting to download the browser I do use....)

Two things:
1. repair permissions
2. move the file 'com.microsoft.explorer.plist' from the home/Library/Preferences folder

Thanks for replying, seeing as I'd only just started adding software after reformatting I figured I'd just reformat it again. It worked fine for a few hours, but now it's doing it again. It's so weird it's like reformatting has trashed my mac rather than fixing it!

reformatting the disc will of course solve all problems. However, if you copy the same "faulty" preferences files to your freshly installed system, you will have the same faulty system as before. The best thing would be to not copy those preferences files or at least copy them one by one to see, which file is causing those problems. Another good solution beside reformatting is to setup a new useraccount and migrate to that one (if things work much better there)‚

But I'm not copying any preferences that I know of?
:confused: I'm literally wiping everything off, I have coppied word processing documents and such like but that's it, I just selected those bits. I didn't copy my entire user file and then dump it into the freshly formatted mac, that's why I'm so puzzled, it should be a completely clean computer, not doing this! :rolleyes: (at the mac!)

Back