Invisible Folders in Mail.app

IslandJordan

Registered
So the IMAP server I use through school has a horde or invisible directories within the directory holding my inbox (.pinerec, .msgrec, etc). While using Entourage, I do not see them because the software knows to hide them, but Mail.app displays them. I would like to start using Mail.app again simply because it will become more integrated in Jaguar. It is only annoying because each of the directories contains system admin messages that Mail.app thinks are a new messages - so it always says there is new mail. Does anyone know of a preference or anything that hides invisible directories on IMAP servers?

Thanks!

Jordan

go to preferences, accounts, edit account, and hit the account options tab. then in the account path prefix, put this: ~/mail

hey, glad i could help. that s what we re here for, and we love to hear appreciation.

it is a little confusing, the first few times i set up mail.app, i got 'Account Directory' and 'Account Path prefix' backwards. those descriptions don t really make it clear which one is local and which is remote (account directory is local).

it is very ugly that mail.app subscribes to ever single file on the remote server if you don t specify a remote directory. that is the source of your problem. what if i don t have a mail directory on the remote server?

hopefully mail.app this summer will have more flexible IMAP support. remember how netscape messenger would let you browse the remote folders and subscribe on a mailbox by mailbox basis? another feature that would be nice would be since it gives us nice multiple accounts features, i think it would be nice to have the sent mail from each account go to an IMAP folder on each separate account server.

i sometimes get really annoying IMAP errors too, when trying to transfer from local folders to IMAP folders. perhaps its an incompatibility with my server (UW), but i m hoping IMAP will get much better with 2.0

Back