iPhone MMS craziness!!??

alra111

Registered
My brother and I each has an iPhone 3G S. We have shared minutes under the AT&T family plan. We both live in Miami and have Miami area codes (I have a 305 area code, he has a 786 are code).

On Saturday, I sent him an MMS from my phone. He received it, on a timely basis, but on the Messages it was listed as having been sent (256)343-8321 instead of from my number!! This turned out to be a number in Anniston, AL. After calling the number later in the day, the called either got dropped or they hung up on me. After a few minutes, a man called me back, PISSED OFF and asking WHY AM I CALLING HIS WIFE!!! I explained to him the situation and he understood.

Earlier today, at 12:21AM, my brother sent me two MMSs. They both arrived, intact and on a timely basis, but from a totally different number--(318)560-8542. This number turns out to be from Shreveport, LA.

This is, of course, in addition to numerous dropped calls and even staticky calls taking place near downtown Miami, FL.

I have called AT&T and complained and received credits--I thank them greatly for this.

Nonetheless, how, in this day and age, can PHONE LINES GET CROSSED? In such crazy ways? Whose number is going to get assigned to the next MMS I send another iPhone user? Have any of you experienced this? Is this going to become a daily issue?

One pissed-off iPhone user,

Rafael

Another fellow Miamian! :)

Well, consider that this is a digital, packet-switched technology as opposed to the old analog method for cell phones (not unlike VoIP except in a mobile 3G network). I imagine the limitations of AT&T's 3G network is also to blame, hence why they have given you credits in return for the problems you experienced. My wife and I both have an iPhone 3GS and there have been times when we received messages out of order, or it took her forever to receive an MMS picture that I sent her. That is all on top of the dropped calls here and there, of course. ;)

Even though I personally think the iPhone has its own set of limitations, I don't think it's to blame in this situation. The iPhone is a good, solid phone. Unfortunately, it is hampered by AT&T's lackluster 3G network.

I randomly received one SMS message from an unknown number some time ago. It was obviously a reply to some other SMS the person had received, but instead of it going to their intended recipient, it came to me.

He didn't believe me at first... until I quoted the message to him and told him his phone number.

Hasn't happened since, and it's not exactly the same as your problem, but sounds similar and along the same lines. This happened to me after I "ported" my T-Mobile number to AT&T and got my iPhone and I chalked it up to network problems at the time.

If this happened only on a single day or two, I would chalk it up to simple network wonkiness (since Miami is quite the densely populated area). If it happens consistently, though, you may want to complain to AT&T again.

I think that some times during holiday periods you may have extreme network load, and rather than dropped calls (which happens easy enough) that you may experience odd response from the system.
I don't think it does any good to call the 'wrong' number that you see... you may get an answer from your 'surveillance team' - :D
I agree - network wonkiness - especially on a high-calling period....

Back