iphone update wiped out contact pics??

videoflyer

Registered
I've had pics associated with specific contacts in my address book for a long time. Just after the latest iphone update (1.0.2) all of those pics have disappeared both from the iphone and from my Mac's Address Book app.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Has anyone else had this happen after a software update? and

2. I have an Address Book backup on my system from a little while ago and the pics would be part of that backup, I'm sure. But I've added quite a few contacts in the interim so I don't want to revert to the backup now. Is there any way to extract the contact pics from that Address Book archive without replacing my current Address Book contact list?

Seeing as your first post was quite a while ago, I have no idea if this will help.

I have not had your exact problem with the contact pictures, but my iPhone 1.1.1 update completely wiped out my phone and forced me to do a restore, even though I hadn't hacked it ... and I lost all of my pictures I had taken. I guess the moral of the story is *always* sync your phone before you do an update.

Now, on to extracting your contact images from the backup file:

1) Navigate in the Finder to the Address Book backup file that contains the contact images you want to extract.

2) Right click and choose "Show Package Contents"

3) Drag the entire "Images" folder onto the desktop.

4) In this images folder there should be a bunch of files that look like serial numbers. Add the extension ".tiff" to the end of each one of these and you can now open them in Preview and drag them onto your current Address Book window to update your contact images.

Back