iPhoto 08 indexing question

doughboy74

Registered
I have iPhoto 08, my iPhoto Library is installed on my external 250 GB hard drive. Up until just recently, when I import my photos from my camera, if I 'right click' on my iPhoto Library and click 'Show Package Contents' I could see all of the images saved in either (Modified) or (Originals) folders. They were sorted by dates (Year first, and so on in more folders). What I have just recently done is import a new set of photos from my camera but iPhoto does not save these photos in either of these files? But when I open iPhoto, my images are there. I try a spotlight search for the filenames (DSC#####) but nothing comes up? Where could my files be? Am I doing anything wrong? The reason that I used to open the files from the (Modified) or (Originals) folders is that I can do editing in CS3 by opening the specific images. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can select Photoshop CS3 as your editor, then double-clicking photos in iPhoto will open them in Photoshop CS3.

What Fryke said. Stay out of the finder! Do your editing within the iPhoto app. You and you photos will be much happier.

Now my question is posted as "iPhoto Library, where is it?" I have recentlyadded an external HD, copied all photos to one folder and imported them directly into iPhoto. The question is, where are the raw images?

If you have the option to have iPhoto copy to the iPhoto Library when importing (iPhoto Prefs ~> Advanced Tab), then that is located on your internal drive in your Pictures directory.

Otherwise, the originals are still in the folder (on your ext HD if that's where they where when they were imported) and what you see in the iPhoto Library Window (when you launch iPhoto, that is) is actually an alias to the original file/s ....

Last edited:
I have checked my internal drive Pictures folder and it only has: iChat Icons folder, one scanned image and Photo Booth photos. If I "show info" for iPhotos, they all point to the iPhotos that I brought over to the 500 GB HD, and the new photos (ones I import from now) are only in the iPhoto Application Window. They do not appear anywhere else. Is there a way of 'hiding' folders?

I have also just checked the "Show photo info" on the newly imported photos for the filename. Then searched spotlight for that identical name and it doesn't find anything. Where else might my photos be importing to?

What happens if you click on the newly imported photos in the iPhoto Library Window? If the alias you click on in the Library Window launches the individual photo then click once more on the individual photo to return to the Library view and select that photo and Control/Right-Click it and select "Show File" from the contextual menu.

Next a Finder window should launch and show you the original or modified version of that photo, of course it depends on the size of the Finder window whether or not you will see the highlighted file straight away or have to scroll around to see it.

There are a few different ways to achieve this next step, but I suggest once you have the highlighted photo in view, press Command and click on the Title of the Finder Window to see the full path to your photo and indeed all the other photos that may or may not be in the same folder you are viewing.

I ended up finding out what happened at the Apple Store today. I used to have my iPhoto Library on my 250 GB HD. All I did to transfer the files over to my 500 GB HD was Export the pictures. Then cleared off my 250 GB HD. The Apple Tech checked out my HD on the /Volumes/ folder and found my 250 GB HD was still saved as a volume with my iPhoto library still attached. (My 250 GB HD wasn't even attached to the iMac. Anyways, he copied the iPhoto Library over to my 500 GB HD and deleted the 9 GB file that was under /Volumes/250 GB HD

Thanks very much for helping me through this. It was one of those things that the tech may have needed to see it first hand.

Back