iPhoto and external CDRW drives

MikeRich

Registered
Does iPhoto automatically recognise external CDRW drives?

My parents use an Indigo iMac running MacOSX with a plain CD drive. I got them a LaCie FireWire external CDRW so they can make their own disks.

When they use iPhoto, they can select the photos they want to burn, put a blank disk in the LaCie and click the Burn icon.

The Mac then says it is preparing to burn the disk, but nothing ever happens.

If they use the System Profile tool, the LaCie is listed on the Firewire port, but the Mac reports that it is a read-only drive.

I know the drive is working as they can use Toast Lite to burn disks.

So is there a setting I need to activate to get iPhoto to work with the external drive? Or does iPhoto simply not recognise external disks?

Any help is appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mike.

Originally posted by MikeRich

So is there a setting I need to activate to get iPhoto to work with the external drive? Or does iPhoto simply not recognise external disks?

I have an IOMega CDRW and it was just a matter of plug and burn for me. iPhoto doesn't have any settings to choose the drive, it should just automatically recognize it. You might have them try iTunes and attempt to burn something from it and if it doesn't work then there is probably something wrong with the computer recognizing the burner.

I was under the impression that LaCie drives were compatible with Macs but.....

Here is a partial list of supported cd drives on Apple's website.

Also, I wonder if Toast Lite is somehow interferring with things.

Good Luck!

Back