iPhoto for stock image library?

mspain77

Registered
At work we have a lot of images purchased from stock photography sites and the like. They all live in the appropriate area on our server, and they are all labeled just as they were when purchased (i.e. LD100924_34.jpg). There is also an area I created for those that have been edited, which are then PSD's, TIFF's, and EPS's.
Because there are hundreds, I would like so sort of system where I can view what I have without having to open each one up OR rename hundreds of images.
Does anyone consider using iPhoto for this, and if so, how? I would prefer NOT to copy ALL images to a folder on HD and just match up the names with the server copies when I find what I'm looking for. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

You could, but I would recommend Aperture or LightRoom instead.

Both do a better job at file management than does iPhoto and are higher end for photo manipulation.

i usually do all editing in PS. Would you recommend these over PS? Also, what about the issue of viewing what is on the server. No specialty apps. that would support that?

If you select "Show Icon Preview" in finder, it will change the icon of the image to a preview of the picture. I wouldn't really recommend this, though, because it takes a while to process everything, some images don't work, and it's hard to organize a large library in Finder efficiently.

I know about the icon view in Finder, but I also already know that it takes to long to load the previews. I have an old version of DickTracker, which is kind of what I was looking for. It's shareware though, and it wants me to register for $30 before I can even play with it. I would like to find a comparable app. that's freeware, but don't quite know what to look for.

Back