iPhoto Library, where is it?

doughboy74

Registered
My question is about iPhoto 08. I had previously saved all of my photos on my 250 GB HD but I have upgraded to a 500GB HD. What I did was copied all of my photos into one folder and placed it on the 500 GB. Then I formatted my 250 GB HD for Time Machine backup. I can still import my photos into iPhoto just fine, but where do the images go? I can see all of them in my iPhoto application, but where do the actual original/modified photos go? I can't seem to find the older file named "iPhoto.library". How would I be able to start from scratch when you open iPhoto and it asks if you want to create an iPhoto Library? Should I start from scratch or may there be another way? Any help would be appreciated.

The iPhoto Library folder usually resides in the Pictures folder under your home folder. YOu might have to scour your old hard drive and search for your old home folder in the Users folder of the old hard drive. Once you've found it, move it over to the same location on your new hard drive within the Pictures folder in your home folder. Then, launch iPhoto and you should have your pictures back.

Yep, your 'iPhoto Library' is located within your pictures folder. Generally, when you import photos into your new 08 library, the import copies the picture older into your Pictures folder/iPhoto Library, unless you set the preferences otherwise.

iPhoto does things with the iphoto library differently than previous versions. To view/see the pictures manually, without iPhoto, go to your iPhoto Library, right click (or ctrl click) and select Show Packaged Contents so see your items. The package contents is a similar view to the contents to iPhoto 06 library. Alternatively you can open iPhoto right click a picture and select show file.

iPhoto would prompt you with the question to create or find a library, because it doesn't know where to find it. You can create a new one, or you can locate your current one.

For furture updates/upgrades, just copy your iPhoto Library folder, or even your Pictures folder. It will keep your current photo file structure and makes things easier.

Mediocer

Back