iPhoto not responding

kc3

Registered
On my MacBook, I deleted some photos from iphoto to reclaim space, quit iphoto, then restarted computer. Now I no longer have access to iphoto. Just getting spinning rainbow before crashing. "iphoto not responding" message is revealed when I force quit the program.
Did disk utility repairs but problem remains. Help anyone?

This is a partial text from the error report: (full report available upon request).

OS Version: 10.4.11 (Build 8S2167)
Command: iPhoto 6.0.6
Build Version: 4
Project Name: iPhotoProject
Source Version: 3220000
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x0000000a
Thread 0 Crashed:
0 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x9ff04d7c __CFStringChangeSizeMultiple + 2290
Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):

Did you delete those photos from within the library in finder? That could cause some major problems, as then the app would not be able to find photos. iPhoto organizes its files in the way it needs to work, and if you try to do anything to its organization, you render it unable to function. Must do anything and everything to/with your photos from within the app itself if you want to use iPhoto. You might try rebuilding by following these instructions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2042?viewlocale=en_US

Let us know how you deleted, and if the rebuild worked.

Skybolt,

Thanks for the replies. I always delete photos through the app and never via the Finder.

The iphoto rebuild (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2638) was a bust. The auto rebuild did not work. My other option is to perform a manual rebuild but it seems that this process imports the photos by date/roll and so I will loss all of my custom folders and tags (Is this right?).

If so, since I have all photos/folders backed up on an external drive, I will just have to reimport directly from that source where I have my folders and tags organized (unless you have any other suggestions).
If not, my new questions are... should I reimport into the original iphoto Library folder (via the app of course), or should I create a new iphoto Library folder and reimport (via the app) there? If the latter, can I delete the original original iphoto Library folder since it will now contain dups of the reimportsl?

ps-
I also tried iphoto Lib Manager (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) but it did not work for me. It said I could not rebuild because the XML file contains no image records. Bizzarre, since I can see and open the photos in "Pictures>iPhoto Library>Originals".

Thanks

Skybolt,

Since iphoto is not allowing me to open my orig iphoto files, I will have to start anew.
After I add photos into the new iphoto lib, can I delete the photos contained in the orig lib folder that exist in the finder? Thanks.

Yes, once you are satisfied that iPhoto is functioning properly, you can delete those photos. I strongly recommend, though, that you make a backup of the photos on a disk so that they are safe for sure.

On my MacBook, I deleted some photos from iphoto to reclaim space, quit iphoto, then restarted computer. Now I no longer have access to iphoto. Just getting spinning rainbow before crashing. "iphoto not responding" message is revealed when I force quit the program.
Did disk utility repairs but problem remains. Help anyone?

This is straight case of iPhoto or iPhoto Library corruption which your Disk Utility is not sufficient enough solve, neither it is able to recover the photos stored in it. For better results you need to use any third party software. So, try any iPhoto library recovery software and see if it helps.

If the problem persists then let me know.

All the best!

I take it you did not notice that the post you replied to was a year old.
The link you offered up is worth keeping though, for future problems.

Back