ipod mini now ships in 1-3 days!

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
It appears that apple has finnaly overcome its supply constraints for the ipod mini the main add at the top of the (US) apple store shows the ipod minis with "Now avalible - shipps in 1-3 days" in bright red underneath, doesnt seem to say that at anyother stores though. Last I heard there were something like 60 000 ipod mini UK orders still not fulfilled!

So now that suply has finnally cough up with supply... when do you think they will be updated? MWSF '05? with a 5Gb and another version with 10Gb with the 10Gb being $245 and the 5Gb beeing $199!

What do you guys think?

i actually took the plunge so to speak and purchased a 20gb for myself and a mini for my girlfriend ($500 + tax with ed discount). i was surprised the mini was finally available.

the build quality of the mini is a lot better than they were when they first came out. they are a lot more solid feeling.

they behave a lot differently though. connecting and disconnecting the 20gb from my powerbook after updating the playlist is basically instant. with the mini, it takes about 30 seconds to reboot after you disconnect it for some reason. the display and contrast is not nearly as nice either.

as for the price, the mini seems too expensive given the storage size. i feel bad for my girlfriend because we have to be selective about what we put on hers because of the 4gb storage, where as for mine, the 20gb, i dont even worry because its more than enough for whatever i want. its better for her i guess though because she uses it for running or puts it in her purse a lot.

i was also surprised at how simple a device the ipods are. no frills basically. ive never owned another mp3 player so i dont know what the competition is like but for the price, i didnt expect the ipod to be so limited. i find myself wanting to perform basic pda functions with it which it doesnt really offer.

all in all i think they are both over priced by about $50 each. people cant seem to get enough of them though so i guess i cant blame apple for keeping the price up. hopefully future updates will see a reduction in price. the mp3 market is becoming so saturated, i dont see how they have any other choice.

my brothers just bought an ipod mini and an ipod 20 gb. and my 40 gb ipod is coming today.

being a 1st generation ipod ownder, i can say that i never filled my ipod with more than 6GB of music... and i added music all the time without even worrying.

the 20GB ipod is very small and light.
the ipod mini though is much smaller.

if uve bought an ipod mini and feel bad that u have to limit ur music than u certainly havent understood the whole concept.maybe u should feel bad about your girlfriend cause Yes u did make a wrong decision, it is ur fault:)
NOone listens to 4Gb of music while on the road, its way too much music.
if uve bought an ipod mini its because u want something very small and light to carry around at the gym, on ur way to work etc.. and when u get bored of the music,u just change a playlist. iTunes makes it SOO freakin easy to do it.

as for the price, i might say that theyre $100 overpriced. but then again, i would be sceptical about the ipod quality if the prices dropped that much.
i payed lots of money for my 1G ipod, but since then ive dropped it more than 10 times and it has fallen really hard and didnt even stop playing.
no thanx, i prefer good quality products , like my Aluminium powerbook, and no some cheap plastic Dell :)

soulseek said:
if uve bought an ipod mini and feel bad that u have to limit ur music than u certainly havent understood the whole concept.maybe u should feel bad about your girlfriend cause Yes u did make a wrong decision, it is ur fault:)
NOone listens to 4Gb of music while on the road, its way too much music.
if uve bought an ipod mini its because u want something very small and light to carry around at the gym, on ur way to work etc.. and when u get bored of the music,u just change a playlist. iTunes makes it SOO freakin easy to do it.

obviously you dont know girls too well. :rolleyes: while i could start to explain them to you, it'll probably never serve a purpose in your case so i wont even bother. :) basically though, 4GB is not enough for any girl given the fact they can easily go through 40+ CDs in a given week. i could show you pictures of the back seat of my girlfriends car to prove it. everything about the mini is perfect for her except for the storage size, but given that my size more than makes up for it, im not gunna sweat it. ;) i would wager a guess though that the #1 frustration with the mini is the storage size so hopefully it will be increased soon enough.

Back