iPod mini sells like ... iPods do. (big time!)

fryke

Staff member
Mod
It's currently the top seller at the Apple Online Store. Many thought it was too pricey or that people would opt for the 15GB white iPod model. This does not seem to be the case - at least not at store.apple.com. (I told you so...) ;-)

Remains to be seen if it stays that way, but the mini certainly has a few things that make it sell like hot cakes:

1.) Style (come on, it IS even sleeker than the iPod)
2.) Price (it _is_ cheaper in total price)
3.) 4GB's enough.

The third point in my list will certainly find many objections, but those come from users like you and me who have more than 4GB of music anyway and use the iPod as an external backup tool, too... Those are, however, not the ones buying the iPod mini (those are the ones who've already GOT an iPod or WILL buy the larger capacity white iPods).
The ones who actually _do_ buy the iPod minis are different people. Many of them are first-time MP3-player buyers who have to choose between "cheap price" and "style". The white iPods do not even show up on their evaluation lists. Maybe the 15GB does, but they're the ones who would even go with a 128MB player, so 4GB is certainly enough for those.

And compared to the competition _outside_ of Apple, the iPod mini is just very, very attractive. Can't deny that.

I think it's important to see that Apple _does_ have success with things we often call "too expensive" initially. And although most of us would want to pay less for most anything, that's not a way to go for Apple. People _do_ buy the iPod mini. They _do_ pay 249$. And they not only get a great little piece of hardware, they get the style, too - and the feeling that they've treated themselves well by buying a luxury item that just manages to fit their budget.

I think it's important to see that Apple _does_ have success with things we often call "too expensive" initially.

He He. I remember when iPod first came out. I thought it was so expensive and didn't understand why people would buy one. Now I can't live without my iPod. :p

4gb is enough for me. I have 659 songs or 1.6 days worth or 2.14gb of music. I could get by on the mini and be fine for years to come. But I would still get the 15gb because it is only $50 more.

I would imagine that the folks buying the mini either don't know the 15gb is there for so little or they just don't care.

could it be feasible that apple just made that list with the ipod mini at the top to hush complaints that no one would buy one?

People are buying the minis for the same reasons they buy Corvettes and the like: Sure, for less money you can get a car that gets better mileage, carries more people and is safer to boot, but you just can't beat the style, the speed, the style, the coolness factor, or even the style.

Originally posted by me, January 6:

------------
I thought so too, at first, but that's because we are underestimating the power of style. I know three women that bought original iMacs for one reason and one reason only...they liked the cool colors.

In fact, I had planned on buying my wife an iPod this year and I'll probably get a mini for that exact reason. She'll love it and she doesn't need the extra space. I've got a 40 GB, but I use it for moving files to and fro work and home, so it makes sense.

Some people will definitely pay for a slightly smaller, stylish iPod at that price. If you don't need 15 GB, you don't need 15 GB. I won't be surprised at all to these sell well.
------------

:)

I'll be just over here smiling, looking smug and wearing my "told you so face" :D ;) ... and cursing Apple for not yet releasing them in Europe ... :( ... anyway ... :)

Hot Cakes (TM) posted 7 jan:
Cat said:
And you know what? I think they will sell like hot cakes! There are plenty glitzy people around that always buy the smallest, shinyest gadget around. Apple did a great job IMHO.

I want a silver one to go with my PowerBook! White iPods are for iBook users! :D ;)

Guess that's why I've originally wanted one... :) An iBook that is. I've bought the iPod when I had a TiBook. ;-)

Back