iPod Shuffle isn't recognized

cfleck

tired
My iPod Shuffle (2nd gen) has gone on the fritz. I plug it in, and nothing happens. It doesn't show up on my desktop, nor does it show up in iTunes. If I open up disk utility, it doesn't show up there. I have the iPod Reset Utility and it never gives me the chance to reset my iPod because it never realizes the iPod is plugged in.

Now for what I *probably* did to screw it up. I was going to sell it and thought I'd best wipe it clean. However, instead of using iTunes to do it, I opened up disk utility and reformatted it there. Ever since then, the above problem is standard issue. How can I fix this?

If it's not mounting (showing up in Disk Utility), there's not much you can do. Is it giving any colored blinks (does the second gen shuffle even do this?). Try different USB ports, if you can. Try a different dock. If all else fails, bring it in to a store - there seems to be many people with this issue, and Apple is replacing them (for free within 180 days, $30 180 to a year).

icemanjc - Yeah, I have that utility and it doesn't work because the mac never realizes anything is plugged in.

eric2006 - Thanks for the tip. Bummer for me.

Back