iPod Troubles

mr. k

Registered
My iPod has been retarded lately. It works just fine alone, but when I hook it up to my mac it acts sporadic, sometimes it works, sometimes mounts in finder, and sometimes freezes the computer and I got fed up tonight when it caused me a kernel panic.

The same sort of issues have arisen twice in the past, but I fixed them by mounting the iPod in disk mode and restoring it (wiping the drive and restoring the firmware). I could try that again, but what's the point - I might as well get to the bottom of this.
It started last night when I plugged it in to the firewire on my iMac. It hung the Finder and iTunes for a real long time, I expect the two were scouring the iPod for real good information. iTunes got responsive again without mounting the iPod, and the finder mounted the iPod. I ejected it from finder and plugged it back in. This time the same thing happened but the iPod had a real funky icon (image 1).
I gave it a break and came back tonight, connecting it to get the same results as the first time, except now iTunes (4.6) said my iPod needed an update. The iPod already had version 2.2, but I launched the updater and it hung for a bit and then gave me picture 2. I quit the updater and then launched it again and this time it gave me picture three.
Clicked on it in finder - really long wait then the files show up. I ejected it from the finder - really really long wait (probably two minutes) while the beach ball spins and the finder has lost responsiveness, then I get an error dialog which reads: "The Volume for "iPod" cannot be found." And under that in less bold letters: "Insert the volume for iPod and wait for it to appear on the desktop. Then try again."
Before I could snap a picture of this the kernel panicked and I had to restart. I took the iPod away and it worked absolutely perfectly, played and navigated right.
I don't have any idea what kind of problem this is, whether the disk is corrupted (wouldn't the iPod not play right then?) or the firewire connection is canned (why would the iPod mount at all?), and if anyone could give me a little help - that would be great! I guess I just can't put other songs on my iPod until I get this fixed. At least I do have a lot of songs on it!

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Picture 3.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Picture 5.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 11
Back