iPod won't connect to G5 - not sure why

Travis86

Registered
I bought an iPod off of eBay a while back, and today it finally arrived.

In short, it won't connect to my computer. Here's what it can and can't do:

Power on/Play songs/Run normally: Yes
Reboot: Yes
Charge: Yes - Proves the USB cable is capable of something.
Disk mode: Always says "OK to disconnect" not "Do not disconnect"
Connect to computer: No

In a graphic I see here and there shows the iPod displaying the "OK to disconnect" message as if it were the correct one. I'm not sure what that's about.

Really, I suspect the cord more than anything, but it's still able to charge....

And the battery seems to drain unusually fast, but I guess that's a separate issue.

I haven't gotten a new cable because it has that funny iPod connector on the end. I guess that's the next thing to try.

All of the other steps didn't work. The later steps require that I connect it to my computer, which is the problem.

That's was an interesting troubleshooting guide, though.

I was wondering if once you plug it in you Mac, does Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) see it? If it does, can you repair the hard drive or reformat it at all.

Well, once it charges *again* I'll have a look. The battery is definitely bad.

I bought a new cable, BTW. That didn't help. I think the main board is bad.

So, what to do? Can anyone think of a clever use for a broken iPod? It has no problem playing all of the previous owner's songs.

Also have you tried toreset your Pram on your G5? This might help the Firewire ports on your Mac to reset.

Also you can get a new iPod battery from OWC if you are sure it is the battery that is the problem.

Back