Is an iBook G3 500mhz fast enough for OS X?

djubelirer

Registered
I am thinking of getting an iBook G3 500 as a backup to my PowerMac G4, and mainly to use to browse the internet wirelessly around my home. I will occasionally use it for other tasks such as email, iTunes, and Office X.

Is OS X going to be fast enough on the iBook, or will it be brutaly slow? The one that I would purchase comes with 128MB of memory...do I need to upgrade the memory? Also, I plan on installing Jaguar on it as soon as it comes out, so hopefully that will speed up OS X slightly.

Please let me know if you have any info.

Thanks in advance,
DJ

I am thinking of getting an iBook G3 500 as a backup to my PowerMac G4, and mainly to use to browse the internet wirelessly around my home. I will occasionally use it for other tasks such as email, iTunes, and Office X.

It is more than enough... but... may I ask how do you get an iBook G3 500 while Apple are selling 600/700? If it is an 2nd hand and the price is cheap, go for it... But for you furture, you should get the 600/700 version. They are pretty cheap too.

I'm running OS X on a B&W G3 350 with 256 and it runs well enough (as backup to G4DP800). Doing too much and it'll bog down (Photoshop or some MS Word stuff). Just browing the web and it's fine. I'd suggest your upgrade your RAM a bit and go ahead.
-todd-

I had an iBook 500 (with 640 mb of ram) and it ran OS X just fine. If gaming isn't a priority, then you won't be disappointed.

Back