Is it wise to buy a MBP?

BioCore

Registered
Hey all,

My parents have decided to buy me a laptop, and I wanted a MacBook Pro, now I wanted to know if it is wise to buy one now? Since there will be a new OS update with leopard! Do you guys think Apple will update the hardware for the 15" models or just update software and some small changes?

I am starting school tomorrow and really need one!

If you really need one now, go for it.
If you can wait for the end of October when 10.5 will be shipping with the new hardware, then wait. Do you have any laptop at the moment that you could use for a month, and then get the MacBook Pro?

no. traditionally, apple has never updated hardware specifically to tie in with an OS release.

if you can wait till the leopard countdown, which is when they announce the release date a month or so in advance, (some time in late september/october), then you can buy the MBP safe in the knowledge that you will get a heavily discounted copy of leopard when it is released.

If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced.

The student version of OS X is $69, so if it's worth $69 to live without a computer for a month or more, you should wait.

Tell them to buy it. My mom owns one for her work and it has been helpful when I have video projects due for class.

If you buy it in October and then Apple releases Leopard on October 31st then they usually will give Mac buyers 30 days before free/really reduced OS X upgrades.

I would buy it, they updated about 3 months ago and if they do update it, I doubt it's going to be a good upgrade, and also if you buy a macbook pro now, you can get get a free ipod nano.

yeah, accoding to the Buyer's Guide the MBP is in mid cycle, so it is very unlikely it will receive an upgrade. And even if it did, it would not be significant.

There is always an element of risk, of course. Like when front row was released for Tiger they introduced the remote. So it is possible thre will be some kind of hardware add-on to tie in with leopard, but I doubt it.

Hey everyone, thanks for the input but I bought the MacBook Pro! I think it was a good choice, cause I just don't mind anymore if they do update or not, its something u have to live with lol!

I got the low end 15" model,with 2.2GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 120GB, 128 MB video card!

i just love it, especially the speed and stability! By the way can someone point me to a thread if there exists one on how to change ur OSX theme? I saw some really nice ones, and was thinking of doing it myself!

By the way can someone point me to a thread if there exists one on how to change ur OSX theme? I saw some really nice ones, and was thinking of doing it myself!

Changing your theme is easy! Mac OS X comes with a variety of built-in themes:
image2ju4.png

Seriously, though, see this:
http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/

Back